Z-Wave beta testing

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.

Are you interested in Testing?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:05 am

No. I don't have any Z-wave hardware
25%
Yes, but I don't have any Z-wave hardware
75%
Yes. I have the hardware (USB Interface) and I'm ready to go!
No votes

Total votes: 4

ScottBot
Site Admin

Z-Wave beta testing

Post by ScottBot »

In the next week or so, I hope to have a beta version of Z-Wave support for HouseBot. I'm curious to know if anyone has the hardware and would be willing to do some testing for me.

It will require the Z-Wave USB interface and one or more switches.
Scott
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I'm surprised that there aren't more folks interested in Z-Wave.

If your not familiar with Z-Wave, it is a technology developed by Zen-Sys. You can see a demo of it in action on their web site. It's very impressive, and even though in its infancy, seems to be gaining a lot of momentum.

In a nutshell, its a wireless control protocol that is cheap and fast. The Devices are 2-way (well, you can query them for status anyway). If you use X10 for automation, you'll find Z-Wave blows it away.

Currently, there's a USB adapter for controlling Devices via software/HouseBot, a dimmer switch, a non-dimming feedthrough switch, and plugin modules. You have to get a wireless remote to control/program the system also.

I've noticed that the devices are starting to be carried more. Worthington is now carrying them also, so the prices are good. Intermatic is also doing something with them, so I wouldn't be surprised to see these things in Home Depot or Radio Shack soon.
Scott
ericvic

Post by ericvic »

Scott,

I would like to look into Z-wave but there are a few things holding me back. Lack of true 2-way and lack of devices. I have some Compose fan switches that I wouldn't want to give up.

I like the technology and I'm surprised that something hasn't supplanted X-10 already but I'm waiting for a few of the "issues" to be worked out before I jump on board.

Eric
Automate

Post by Automate »

Z-wave does seem to have promise but I have seen so many others that where supposed to be the replacement for X-10.

CEBus

Lonworks

HomeRF

HomePNA

HomePlug

Not to mention the more computer oriented technologies like Bluetooth and 802.11 wireless that I am inclined to see if the standard really takes off before investing a lot of money in the equipment.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I feel your pain. I was really behind CEBus when it first came out, as well as some of the others.

There's something about Z-Wave that I really like. Maybe it's the low cost, lack of consortium, open standard, simple design, that all goes together to make this work. Maybe I'm wrong. :(

My thought is that I've got a few X10 switches that have switch latencey issues that drive me crazy. I'll replace them first, at a minimal cost. If things start to take off, I'll be able to slowly adopt Z-Wave as its success is more assured.
Scott
Automate

Post by Automate »

Keep us posted on how things go. X-10 is definitely old and needs to be replaced by something newer. I really don't care which standard it is as long as it catches on. Catching on would mean a wide variety of available devices at a reasonable price.
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

That technology sounds cool. Their site doesn't offer any devices. Can anyone give links to Z-wave devices?

Thanks,

Yoram
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

They're still a bit hard to find, but here are a few sources:

http://www.ocautomation.com/act/homeproproducts.html

These guys are the most expensive, but they carry ACT's products. ACT was the first that I know of to have production Z-Wave equipment.

http://www.worthdist.com

This where I buy most all of my automation equipment. They typically have the best prices. The Z-Wave stuff is not on their web site, but if you call them they have limited supplies.

http://www.smarthome.com/1129.HTML

Smarthome has the Sylvania starter kit. They don't have the USB device, or wall switches, but it's a start.

http://homeseer.american-data.net/Merch ... Code=ZWAVE

Homeseer seems to carry the whole line.

http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/category_108.htm

You can get it here too.

There are probably other sources as well, but these are the ones I know of.
Scott
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

Thanks for the links Scott.

In my country we use 230VAC, and from what I've seen the devices are designed for 110VAC.

I will search further.

Yoram.
Hesse

Post by Hesse »

Scott:

Do you suggest getting the Homeseer USB Z-wave controller? I think that I want to begin experimenting with some of these devices. If not now, in the near future.

Thanks,

Jesse
ericvic

Post by ericvic »

Can you get it from HomeSeer or get it about $30 cheaper from Worthington

Eric
Hesse

Post by Hesse »

ericvic wrote:Can you get it from HomeSeer or get it about $30 cheaper from Worthington

Eric

I would like to get a controller that would be able to be used in Housebot as well as other programs should it be necessary. If I can really get this controller for ~$30 from Worthington, it makes my decision to buy it much easier.

Jesse
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Jesse,

It's the exact same device, whether you buy it from HomeSeer or Worthington (or anywhere else). The hardware is made by ACT (their HomePro line) and is simply resold by others.

The guys at Zen-Sys told me that HomeSeer actually has their own drivers for the hardware, but you can probably download the drivers for free. I know you can download the standard drivers for free (they may even come with the device now).
Scott