where do i get housebot from.

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Other than a few minor fixes, the new version won't be much more than a branded 2.15. The primary goal of this release is just to get something out there that people can download it and try it out.

The new Meedio version is about ten thousand times squared better than the myHTPC that was last released to the public. I hope they take housebot and do the same to it.
Hang in there. They had a little head start on myHTPC. :wink:
Scott
sbass

Post by sbass »

AndyK wrote::)

Uh oh...The gustapo have arrived!
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

No, I removed that post voluntarily out of respect for Scott. It was simply a link to a download site for the freeware version of HouseBot.
Last edited by AndyK on Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
sbass

Post by sbass »

AndyK wrote:No, I removed that post voluntarily out of respect for Scott.

Awesome! I'm really liking how the Housebot community is starting to get into the swing of Meedio. I know there were definitely some growing pains on the myHTPC side, so I wouldn't expect any less here.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to using Housebot once I get a 802.11 card for my iPaq (especially since it's been sitting on the shelf since I got my Motorola MPX200) :)

Shawn
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

Meedio HouseBot is now available:

http://www.meedio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16505
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

So, the previously free HouseBot is in future going to cost me around a staggering $AU120!!

... and even though I'm a previous user and eligible for the "free" version I have to agree to receive spam from you in order to download it!!

... and after going through the process, getting my unlock key and receiving an email with the download link, the link doesn't work so I can't download the program!!

This just goes from bad to worse. You guys have GOT to be kidding!!!
Last edited by AndyK on Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Kairos

Post by Kairos »

:( :(

As a standalone home automation app, $80, might be reasonable, it is less than homeseer. But from a htpc standpoint I moved away from girder/netremote to housebot due to the fact thet they went comercial. My setup is currently 2 HTPC's (soon to be 3), a server and an ipaq. I pay $80 and put housebot on the server to control x10, and automated tasks on the computer, and the client on my ipaq. Resonable.

Now to do the small tasks that girder once did on my HTPC machines (rs232 control of reciever, usb-uirt control, and control of software..meedio). This would cost $160.

Where a girder/netremote combo would cost about $90, thats a $150 price differance. When I add a third HTPC to the mix, I could pay $320 or $110.

So I ask if there will be some sort of housebot lite. Limited functionality, for strict htpc use. The functions I mentioned above. When installing you get to choose lets say 5 plugins (in my case rs232, usb-uirt, meedio, tcp/ip). This way the housebot server will recieve all the commands and sent them to the housebot lite to be executed. If this were priced at $30~$40 the price differance of a housebot server and 2 housebot lites, is closer to 3 girders and a netremote pro ($140/$90 or $160/$90).

For my example to work you would have to allow only approved plugins to work (internally written ones or such), as someone could always try to write the ultimate plugin to do everything. I also know some of the plugins I mentioned don't exist, meedio, or are part of the core (I think the rs232 is or I could be wrong).

I may be a myHTPC fanboy, but I can not justify spending $320 to control my home and home entertainment equiptment. I will wait and see what comes out of housebot 3.0, but untill then as I am a housebot user with no free copy I will stick with 2.15.
sickboy007

plugins

Post by sickboy007 »

The plugins were released about 1/2 hour before the new version was released

http://www.meedio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16502

I also believe that you would qualify for a 50% discount on the next major release.

I am assuming that if there were any major releases after that you would probably recieve an upgrade discount.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Thanks for that ... I must have missed that post.

I would be extremely interested to know if those plugins now being provided will work with the freeware version of HouseBot 2.15 ... given that I can't get the download of "Meedio HouseBot" to work.
Andy
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

Andy, could you please email me the link that you are trying to use? I've tested the registration/download process several times and the links do work for me. And judging from the logs it is working for other people too.

Thanks,
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

... I think I just answered my own question. I just tried installing one of the "Meedio" HouseBot plugins with an existing HouseBot 2.15 installation and it will not even install.

Anyone using HouseBot 2.15 should be very careful!!
Andy
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Alan, I have PM'd the link to you.

I was able to get my unlock key without any problem and I correctly received an email providing the download link however that link simply doesn't work for me ... either clicking on it or cutting and pasting into the browser.
Andy