Essentials plugin for HouseBot?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
kbosscawen

Essentials plugin for HouseBot?

Post by kbosscawen »

It's been almost a month since Meedio HouseBot was released - Any word on the Meedio Essentials plug in for Meedio HouseBot? Anxiously awaiting.....

Thanks.
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

We've had to rewrite the internals of the plugin and have a working prototype that is being internally tested but it will likely not be released until after Meedio TV is released. I would target November.

In the meantime you can still tie the two together through windows messages, girder messages, the HouseBot Execute Program device, the HouseBot External Control device, and/or the Meedio Essentials MeedioSendCommand visual basic script.
wordgasm

Post by wordgasm »

So Alan ..............

How much of this "tieing together" will not be needed when the 2way/essentials tie-in is released.

I'm starting from scratch on the project (along with many other projects) and if Im just duplicating what essentials/housebot will do in the near future, while taking the long way around, I'd think I'd just rather wait till your release.

On the other hand, if the next "release" is just the beggining of the integration, and I'll still need messaging/girder/execute/etc.

I'd like to get started soon!

Mind you, not looking for real info! JUST HINTS!

Jeff
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

Depending on what you want to do I would expect the majority of use cases to be supported by the plugin without any other devices or external software. Can you provide additional details on what you need?
wordgasm

Post by wordgasm »

Well ....

I'm not really even sure yet!

Media Server, initially 2 HTPC's (will add 2 more when its all up and running, 1 HPC and one Web Tablet (Eventually, probably 2 in-wall touch screens at entries/traffic areas.

Will be controlling:

HTPC's, lighting, security, cameras, jaccuzzi, whole house audio, HVAC, sprinklers, phone system, you name it.

Now I realize I wont have this all up and running in a couple of months ...

But Im starting from scratch and If I dont have to learn a bunch of external progerams, and scripting. IF I'll only need for a while, then I dont want to spend the time.

If in a couple months I'll have the basis of what I need thru Housebot/essentials .. and in a few months after that all I need, then I'd just perfer to learn HouseBot/Essentials and do 90% or 95% of what I'll need thru Meedio. And pickup the rest however

The automation is fun , .. but not as"sexy" as the HTPC stuff and I dont want to spend a lifetime learning programS and bridges if not needed.

I've got so many projects (things to get running on tap .. that Im actually to the point that I really want to use the stuff and not just tweak it.)

But these are my "worries" and Im rambling!

Just want to "head off in the right direction" and avoid losing the house with all the automation by way of the "Meedio Infidelity Section " of my apparent upcoming Divorce Proceedings".

Thanks

Jeff
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

Sounds like you've got a big project and probably need to define your goals in a bit more detail when it comes to integrating your automation and home theater systems. Once you get into it your requirements will determine the options that are available for implementation. My suggestion would be to start with a few easily definable tasks and implement your system one part at a time.

For instance you may want to start with a graphical interface to run on your tablet PC which can control all of your lights. You can do this pretty easily with just Meedio HouseBot by itself.

Once you've tackled a few small projects then you should have a better idea of how you want these sub-systems to integrate with each other, and by that time we may have our plugin released anyway. :D
wordgasm

Post by wordgasm »

I like it!

In general (I know there will be exceptions):

If I can do something totally within either HouseBot or Meedio as a stand alone product, there is a "Good" chance that I'll be able to integrate between the 2 softwares when your integration is done (ie: the normal stuff: HVAC, music, cameras, security, lighting, etc.)?

Just say Yes (even if you're lying) and I'll leave you and scott alone and get started!

(I'm an estimator and PM by trade, so I always think I have to have it all figured out on the front side, before I do ANYTHING ... or I could "lose money"

Occupational hazard ...

Thanks

Jeff
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

wordgasm wrote:Just say Yes (even if you're lying) and I'll leave you and scott alone and get started!

Yes. :D (and I'm not lying)
ray95

Post by ray95 »

Are we still looking at November for when the plugin will be released?
NRG

Along for the ride

Post by NRG »

:P
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

ray95 wrote:Are we still looking at November for when the plugin will be released?
Hopefully November will be when things get rolling. No idea when it will actually be released, but it's at the top of the list.
Scott
Zei

Post by Zei »

Is there any status repport for essential plugin to housebot? I would also be nice to know what features are you going to have in the first release.

--zei
cmairhof

Update?

Post by cmairhof »

Any update or betas on the plugin between essential and housebot?
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

We won't be providing an open beta of the plugin. We are working on making it easier to configure before it is released.
osetivo

Post by osetivo »

acheslow wrote:We won't be providing an open beta of the plugin.

Hmmm, let me see if I can figure out why. Oh yea, the complainers. j/k
Scott