Assign Keyboard Shortcuts to Buttons?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
ShiftyPowers

Assign Keyboard Shortcuts to Buttons?

Post by ShiftyPowers »

I keep asking a lot of quesitons but I really like this program and want to get it to work so.....

Is there a way to assign a certain keyboard key to a button in my software remote? Right now I have the remote running on a wireless laptop that does not have a touchscreen, so I have to use the mouse to hit the buttons, is there a way to assign keys to those buttons instead?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

No there's not. It's a good idea and has been requested in the past.
Scott
ShiftyPowers

Post by ShiftyPowers »

Cool, thanks for the quick response. That would be a nice little feature. And on the side note then, what are the good airpanels or tablet pc's to use with HB and software remotes? Or do you recommend a cheap PPC such as the Axim x30 or X3i?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

If you're just going to use the PPC for HouseBot, I wouldn't suggest buying anything too expensive. I run mine with an AudioVox Maestro and it works great. Just make sure you can add WiFi to it.

Since the Software Remote is really just a semi-thin client, it doesn't really need too many of the features of the PPC.
Scott
ShiftyPowers

Post by ShiftyPowers »

I agree, thing is that the Dell Axim x30 can be had on ebay for sub $300 bucks. I can't seem to find a tablet pc that doesn't require a stylus for less than that. Does the Maestro allow you to use fingers? I think using the stylus kind of defeats the purpose.
ShiftyPowers

Post by ShiftyPowers »

i just noticed the maestro is a ppc as well. hmmm, tablet would be the coolest if they can be had for cheap, but don't think that's possible. And yes, the ppc would only be used as a remote basically.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

ShiftyPowers wrote:Does the Maestro allow you to use fingers?
Yea. I think any of the PPC screens are sensitive enough to the touch. I don't think you can get the Maestro new any more (I could be wrong).

I think most of the tablets should also be sensitive enough to the touch to use without a stylus. I have a ProGear that uses a stylus, but it works fine with the finger also.
Scott
wallebalboa

KBD buttons assigned to Panel buttons...

Post by wallebalboa »

Hello guys.

I requested this for a couple of months ago without really knowing what i wanted :lol: ... now i know and have solved it with a keyboard makrorecorder software.

This is what i want to do: make a application with several panels and browse thru them with keys. just few commands on each panel ( on/off , inc/dec , OK etc...) I want the key to change "focus" to the buttons on the active panel...

solution: on each panel i have a main meny (ex. row corresponding to keyboard F1 to F12) buildup with buttons each with same position on each panel. then i have recorded a absolute mouse click on that position and assigned that to the corresponding key. this makes it easy to maintain the panels and to add new functionality. It gets even better with a "special design" of a row of buttons connected to a dissasembled numeric keyboard and clued to the side of the LCD...

there is a lot of keyboard macro software out there, i use : http://www.hot-keyboard.com/

housebot deserves a touchscreen but this makes good use of old laptops...

kind regs