Newbie questions. Considering HouseBot. Hardware needed?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
RxMan

Newbie questions. Considering HouseBot. Hardware needed?

Post by RxMan »

I am considering setting up HouseBot on my server PC. What kind of hardware would I need to get it working with a remote? Would I need a usb-uirt? Does the Powerlinc USB accept commands from a remote?

I think I understand how the program works and sends out commands to control various fixtures. What I don't understand is how I get the command from the remote to the software.

Thanks
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

If you want to do infrared control you would need to set up a USB-UIRT or something similar. If you are happy controlling HouseBot from a PC or a Windows-based PDA (iPaq, Toshiba, etc) then you don't need the IR control. I control my entire system using the software remotes provided with HouseBot.

The PowerLinc USB does not accept commands directly from a remote. To control this from HouseBot you would need to create a software remote that includes controls (buttons) that interact with the PowerLinc. You would also need to learn IR codes that you want to receive in HouseBot and then set up a task in HouseBot to take actions when that IR code is received. For example you could have HouseBot turn off a light when a certain IR code is received.