Problem with received data on serial device

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Problem with received data on serial device

Post by dlmorgan999 »

I'm starting to play with parsing received data from a serial device now but I've run into a problem. The result string doesn't always show up in the Received Data property right away. Sometimes I see nothing and then after sending a few commands I get a long string with the results of all three of those commands in the Received Data property.

If I connect to the device with Hyperterminal and execute the commands by hand I always get a response back right away. One thing I thought might be worth mentioning - the return string from the device is terminated with an EOF (ascii 1A). Do you think this could have anything to do with it? I have another serial device and it always returns a result string right away.

-- Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I don't think the EOF should make any difference. There's nothing in the plugin specific to it.

I would say it sounds more like a flow control issue. You might also want to tweak the Response Timeout value (but you've probably already done that).

If you enable the tracing for the Hardware Interface, there might be some clues that will at least show when the data is arriving.
Scott