Adjusting Sleep Time via software remote

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
kilowatt

Adjusting Sleep Time via software remote

Post by kilowatt »

Scott,

Is there a way I can adjust the 'Sleep Time' value of a 'Sleep Timer' via a software remote? I tried using a slider but this seems to only return a numeric value which causes a parsing error. I also tried using a 'Property Edit' control but that also caused a parsing error.

Thanks,

Mark
kbosscawen

Post by kbosscawen »

I tried to do something similar (see this post: http://www.meedio.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=) and found that I need to script the increment/decrement. The script and the remote that uses it is in the TV Guide example configuration that I sent to Scott, but I'm not sure what happened to it/where you can get it since the acquisition.

The script basically just adds 30 minutes to a timer when one button is pressed, and decrements 30 minutes if another button is pressed. Not as elegant as a slider, but it works.
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

I was afraid there was no elegant way to do this. I ended up putting a row of property change buttons with the nine values I needed across the theme. Not beautiful but functional. It was quicker than writing a script.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

If you don't mind stepping through the values, you could use a multi-state PV button instead of multiple buttons. Each time you press the button it would go to the next state.
Scott
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

I had tried that but when I set multiple states they seemed to disappear when I save the theme. I would only have one of the states I had created when I opened it back up to edit again.

I just tried it again... Apparently I forgot to set the button image for the additional states which must be why they disappeared.

:roll:

Now it never seems to change state. I modified the multi state button so it has different text depending on what state it is in and the text shown does not match the state that should be shown based on the current value of the sleep time property.

It would be nice if there was a time entry method from a software remote. I was using this to set the time a circulator runs for preventing ice from forming around the dock at my lake house. I have a camera so I can view the docks when I'm not there and I want to be able to adjust the length of time the circulator runs based on what I see.

The sleep time works great for controling this but is a bit hard to adjust via the remote. Since I only need fairly coarse control I can make it work with either my row of buttons or the multistate one as you suggest if I can get it to work right.

Mark
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I'm not sure why you are having trouble with the Multi-state button. The sample theme that comes with HouseBot shows an example of looping through values with a multi-state button. I don't know whether it will help or not, but you can find the sample button on the "Other Controls" Panel.
Scott
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

I can make a multi-state button to change the sleep timer 'Running' property and it works just fine. It doesn't seem to work when trying to modify the sleep timer 'Sleep Time' property. It seems to always think it is in the default state even when the sleep time property matches one of the other state values. Seems to be a problem with testing the matching values of the sleep time property.

Have you tried a multi-state button controling the sleep time property? If so could you send me an example theme?

Mark