Keyboard to control HouseBot?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Zei

Keyboard to control HouseBot?

Post by Zei »

Yello!

Can keyboard be used to control HouseBot configured deviced i.e. without remote. In this way I would be able to control Meedio, Lights, AV-equipment etc.. also using by bluetooth keyboard :) .. which would be nice!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

That would be nice, but unfortunately, you can't. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to write a Device that has a keyboard hook that simply reports the key codes as a Property Value. Then a Task could handle controlling the behavior from the key codes.
Scott
Zei

Post by Zei »

:( hmmm, what about the software remotes, is there going to be a possibility to send keyboard shortcuts to buttons on remote?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

That's a feature request that's been on the list.... forever. It makes perfect sense to add the support, but I'm not running the schedule anymore.
Scott
Zei

Post by Zei »

too bad..

how does Girder and HouseBot fit together, or is Girder only supposed to be used if one does not have Pocket PC.

I guess I could be able to use keyboard with Girder and USB-UIRT but in that case I would be missing HouseBot support for Meedio and my X10 lights.

Maybe I just still need to use them all together. Next step will be to try to use SW in my bluetooth LAN for Meedio/ZoomPlayer/Winamp/Lights + BT keyboard for writing. WLAN is taking too much battery.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

HouseBot has a Girder Bridge Device that allows HouseBot to send Girder events over the network. This allows you to leverage the large library of support that Girder has for controlling equipment, etc.

For Girder to control HouseBot, you could use the External Control plugin and call it from Girder. I'm really not too familiar with Girder to give much advice here.
Scott