How to get X10 (dim function) to work

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Sjoerd

How to get X10 (dim function) to work

Post by Sjoerd »

Hello everybody,

I am new with the meedio housebots software :?:

It looks great and alot of thinks to do with it. BUT, how do I get the lamp module to dim in the properties menu, and after that in the my theme. What do I use the X10 command line or the preset dim ?? I only get it to go on and off the the power state line?

PS the CM11a is enabled !

The hardware is okay because it works with the original supplied software.

I am using the trail version for know and want to know if I can use it for my home automation.

Maybe some one has a sample theme/layout that I can import and use.

Thanks alot for reading my problem and hopefully giveing me an answer.

Sjoerd (hopefully a new user of meedio)
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Sjoerd,

Welcome to HouseBot :!:

If you are able to turn the lamp on and off using the Power State Property in HouseBot, then you've got the CM11, HouseBot Device, and X10 switch all configured correctly.

Depending on the type of X10 switch you are using, you can use different types of dimming. Your HouseBot X10 Device should have two "direct dimming" properties that can be used for some switches. If you don't have these Properties in the Device, make sure you create an X10 Lamp Module Device, and not an X10 Appliance Module. If you have a Leviton brand switch, you can set the Leviton Dim Level Property to dim the lamp. If you have a switch that supports preset dim commands (not many do), you can use the X10 Preset Dim Level Property.

If you have a basic X10 lamp module that doesn't support either forms of direct dimming, you will need to send standard X10 Dim or Bright commands to change the light intensity. This works well for some things, but you may find it limiting for most applications. To reduce the light level, set the Direct X10 Command Property to Dim;n where n = the number of steps to dim. To increase the light level, set the Property to Bright;n. You may find more information in the online help for the Device.

Once you get this working, you can create Property Change buttons (or even Task buttons) on your Theme to control the lamp using a Software Remote.
Scott
Sjoerd

Post by Sjoerd »

Hi ScottBot,

Thank you for replying.

I did some testing with the dim and bright command.

But i was not shure what I was doing.

Now you say try these this, so now ik know that it should work with that.

I will concentrate more on this then.

Thanks again,

I quickly go and test, I realy am exited to get it to work :lol:

Sjoerd