Questions

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Zack_

Questions

Post by Zack_ »

Hello,

Sorry I already posted this, but it was in the wrong forum, and a mod hasn't moved it so I figured it would take forever to get an answer, so I posted a new topic.

Anyway...I have the full version of HouseBot because I thought it would be cool to "digitize my house. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I am doing. :lol: I have read through the Help Guide in the program, and I also have read some FAQ stuff on here. I am looking just for the basic guide to starting off the program. Can someone give me a link on how to control your TV and how to turn your lights on and off? I've done some searching, but couldn't find just basic begginner stuff.

Also, do I have to buy one of the remotes from Meedio or just a universal remote that will work? Or can I just sit at my computer and click a button and turn something on/off in another room. What is the best remote to buy?

Any other help that could get me started is appreciated. Thanks! :lol:
Circe640
Advanced Member

Post by Circe640 »

I presume youfr TV remote is infra red. To control lights, you normally use X-10 type switches -- either built in or external. The best thing to do here is to read the help files on X10, CM11a and Powerlinc to understand how X10 is setup, also search the web for references to X10 . AS far as remotes, any remote can work but you need a Infra red recevier/transmitter tied to the computer HouseBot is running on. The receive function is so that HouseBot can learn the infra red codes from you existing remote and the transmit function is to allow HouseBot to send those codes back out. Read the usb-irt help file to gain some basic understanding of setting up IR control in HouseBot. That will get you to the point wher you can come back and ask more pointed questions that many people here can help with. There are a number of people here with quite complex setups and have been through all the details of setting up.