HB theme: Controls out of sight

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

HB theme: Controls out of sight

Post by Steve Horn »

I opened a ticket on this with Meedio Support but they havent assigned it yet. Does anyone know of a way to delete a control that have been created (actually pasted) on a theme panel but is out of reach for deletion? I copied a couple of buttons from another panel. But after the paste action now the buttons are outside the range of the panel editor and I cannot "reach" them to delete them, move them, etc.
Steve
spike5884

Post by spike5884 »

Try using a bigger background. Something like this happened to me. I just switched to a bigger background. I then moved the stuff so that it would be visible and then switched back to the smaller background.
Thanks,
Scott J
aka spike5884
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

The background the controls are on is 1024x768 as-is. The problem is that I run out of scroll bar movement to get to the wayward controls.. I may have to recreate the panel from scratch, but that was Plan B.

thanks for the idea though
Steve
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Hi Steve,

If you are feeling brave you can edit the panel file directly. It's an XML file and you can edit it with any number of editors (WordPad works fine). I've done this many times in the past to fix issues like this.

Although it's not documented anywhere (that I know of) the internal structure is pretty straight-forward. The panels are called "Skins" in the XML file. Look for the lines that start with "<Skin". On those lines look for the "Name=" section.

When you find the name of the panel containing the unwanted controls you can find those controls and just delete them from the file (the controls are grouped by Buttons, LabelControls, TextControls, etc). It would probably be wise to make a backup of the XML file before you start making changes but I think you won't have any problems.

Once you are done editing the raw XML file you can re-open it in the HouseBot GUI to make sure nothing got messed up. Let me know how it goes.

-- Dave
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Dave, I thought about doing that; and had even opened the XML and poked around in it. But I did not see anything obvious relating to the wayward controls. I'll look at it again based on your "map". Thanks for the information.
Steve
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Hi Steve,

Once you find the section containing the type of controls you are looking to remove look for the "Text" section in each line. This is the text that appears on the face of the control. This should allow you to definitively identify the controls you want to remove.

-- Dave
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Dave: That did it. I only deleted 1 button by mistake - two buttons with the same name and I picked the wrong one. I could have figured which was the correct one by the x&Y coords, but no big deal. I can add it back in. I appreciate your XML guidance. I need to learn more about it.
Steve
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

I'm glad I could help out. :)