Software Remote Help

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
PT

Software Remote Help

Post by PT »

Scott or Anyone?

I have installed Housebot onto a windows 2003 server.This for use with 2 No airpanel products.

The question is Can I have 2 different software remotes running at the same time with different users. Each time I try and open up the same remote/theme the clocks start to miss and everything does not run smoothly.So I have tried to have one user running a software remote named say (A) and the other user running remote called (b) . the trouble is although I can change the name in the config and indeed the local path for files, the registry is then changed to which ever remote was initilaized last.

Scott is it possible to modify a pc remote to say be installed in the registry as say Houseclient1 and then I could use both remotes sucessfully.

[/b]
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I'm not sure I understand the question/problem. You can definitely run multiple Software Remotes to the same server. They should run completely independently of each other (although Property Value changes caused by one will be reflected on the other).

Make sure the software remote names are unique. If I understand your "A"/"B" example, it sounds like they are.

If you're running multiple remotes on the same box, you might be able to use the /name command line argument to specify a different remote name as stored in the config settings. Checkout the "Software Remote command line options" section in the online help for more info. I've never tested a configuration like this, but other users have had some success with it.
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Hi PT,

I run multiple software remotes on various computers throughout the house quite often (especially when I am doing development and testing). I have shortcuts for each of my main software remotes on my desktop and the command lines look like this (the only parameter that changes is the "/name" parameter):

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Meedio\Meedio HouseBot\Clients\Winx86\SWRemote.exe" /name BR1024 /ip htpc

I'm not exactly sure what will happen with multiple users connected via Remote Desktop (I assume that's how you will be using the Airpanels). You'll just have to try it and see how it goes.

-- Dave
PT

Multiple remotes

Post by PT »

First thanks Scott and Dave for the reply.

I,ll try and explain further.

Housebot is set up up on a windows XP machine(called Home1) with Different themes for different size panels. I also have 3 different local remotes which point to these different size panels ie Local Remote to theme a, Viewpad remote to theme B etc.

When I connect to home 1 with any device ie another machine,laptop viewpad,simpad i airpanel ...no problems. I can call the up whatever remote theme I require ie just change the configurtaion panel and your done.(note this then stays after reboot etc)

However the Airpanels require a remote desktop connection . So I thought I would buy a server and use the built in (2 remote and one static user RDc policy).

So now I connect with 2 airpanels at the same time and also have control at the server. When I connect with airpanel 1 and call up the remote no problem. When I call up the same remote on airpanel 2 the remotes do not behave . The clock goes out of sync and the panels constantly refresh which when using the winamp music section makes the directory keep returning to the root. All other remotes running at the same time work fine including the wireless panels.

So I tried running airpanel1 with Local Remote Themea and Airpanel 2 withViewpad remote and themeb. This works at first but the registry setting is changed so when I refresh or close down airpanel 1 this then changes to the same settings as airpanel 2.

I have tried changing the SWremote.exe to a new name and changed the path for temp files but they keep referring to the same setting in the registry. If the exe could be modified slighlty to have a new registry name I beleive this would solve the problem.

Your thoughts guys
PT

Post by PT »

Dave/Scott

Further to my last reply

I have tried your shortcut method and it works great. Yes both Remotes (airpanels)work fine and indeed my viewpads works fine also. Although the registry is changing to the last remote used the shortcut now changes it back.Very clever.Also the ability to change theme from the remote end.

Now to change the theme to make use of all that extra space.

Thanks for your help.
PT

Post by PT »

Scott

One other little query how do I change the winamp sample download to display albums etc in lieu (or as wel) of artist. Can it be made to display album art?

Thanks
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

I meant to include this in my previous post but just to confirm (for others that might be reading this), if you try to run the same software remote on the same computer more than once simultaneously you *WILL* experience all kinds of strange problems. The key is to create separate remotes on the HouseBot server.

I have a whole house AV distribution system so I have created software remotes for each room. They are essentially identical with just a few differences related to volume control and source selection for the room in question. I can run as many of these as I want simultaneously on the same computer with no problems.

-- Dave