usb-uirt problem learning codes

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
TakeFlight

usb-uirt problem learning codes

Post by TakeFlight »

When I point a remote at the usb-uirt (when not in learning mode) the red LED flashes. When I'm in learning mode and do the same thing the LED doesn't flash and there is no indication in housebot that it's receiving anything. I've tried this with multiple remotes with no luck. Any ideas? I'm using v2.02 of the plugin and the firmware on my usb-uirt is 5.9. I've also tried 3 different USB ports with no luck.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

When learning remote codes, be sure to hold the remote very close to the USB-UIRT (like a couple of inches).
Scott
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

I've done as recommended in the help (hold the remote 3" away). I've tried anywhere from less than an inch to over half a foot away and nothing happens. However, as long as HB isn't in learn mode, the red LED flashes on the usb-uirt. As soon as I put it in learn mode the LED doesn't flash anymore (with the remote at the same distance).
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

Jon from USB-UIRT developed a utility called lrnhelper that allows to learn codes.

Ask him for a copy of it, and you'll be able to tell if something is wrong with the unit.
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

I had the same problem using the Irnhelper utility. I then emailed Jon and he told me where to specifically point the remote and that when the usb-uirt is in learn mode it only works in a really small range. It turns out I could only get it to work when I held the remote just slightly over an inch away and pointed at one specific 1/8" area of the front of the usb-uirt! Now that's picky! But, at least I know what I have to do now. Of course, it kind of stinks that it's so picky for a task that can be so repetitive (programming all your remotes and all the buttons on the remotes). Oh well.
spike5884

Post by spike5884 »

Do you have a set of new batteries in the remote? I have had issues in the past with learning remotes that would not learn because the other remote had weak batteries.
Thanks,
Scott J
aka spike5884
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

I definitely haven't replaced the batteries recently in the main remote I was testing. However, I did try a different remote with the same results. The other remote I tried has had it's batteries replaced more recently.