Is there a wat to control keyboard commands as a .exe file?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
newstuart

Is there a wat to control keyboard commands as a .exe file?

Post by newstuart »

I am trying to incorporate MCE 2005 into my housebot remote design and need a way of making the software remote buttons launch the MCE commands. I can make housebot launch MCE (On the same pc) by directing a button to launch the MCE start button shortcut on my desktop.

What I now need to do is control the keyboard arrows and a few hotkeys (for play, stop ect etc) from the housebot interface. My initial thought was to find a way to have an executable command for each item (For example arrow up.exe) and then assign a button to launch each one but I have no idea how to do this or if there is a easier way.

Any suggestions to help a newbie would be great
newstuart

Post by newstuart »

Anyone :?:
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I'd suggest taking a stab at using the HouseBot Windows Message Device. It's somewhat limited, but will work for many simple things. It's kinda hidden, as it is not identified as the "Windows Message Device". Instead you create Device definitions that use it. Checkout the online help for the WinDVD Device and it will hopefully get you started. You can also check into the WinDVD device as a good sample.

If that doesn't work for you, you could use Girder and the HouseBot Girder Bridge Device to do the same type of thing. Girder is much better at remote controlling, but it is no longer a free app.

Outside of that, there *may* be a way to send windows messages via VBScript Device that could work.

Along your line of thinking, there may also be some shareware EXE that will do it too. I just don't know of any off the top of my head.
Scott