PLC error with USB PowerLinc V2

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
TakeFlight

PLC error with USB PowerLinc V2

Post by TakeFlight »

I'm trying to set up a PowerLinc V2 (replacing my old X10 serial controller). I can use the Smarthome Timer software to set up an X10 device and control it without a problem. However, when I try to use the PowerLinc USB V2 plugin (latest version) for HouseBot (latest version - in c:\program files\housebot) I get the following error when I look at the trace screen...

PLC:ERROR=012:MapNotLoaded-PLC not connected or no valid map. Try using isResponding first.
PLC:sendx10=True,D3,DON

If I issue the command directly in Internet Explorer, I essentially get the same error...

ERROR=012:MapNotLoaded-PLC not connected or no valid map. Try using isResponding first. sendx10=True,D3,DON

I have issued the isResponding command and it comes back isresponding=True

Anybody have any ideas? Did I possibly miss a crucial step in configuration or a component that needs to be installed?

Like I said, I know the PowerLinc is working because I can set up a device in the Smarthome Timer software and control it without a problem.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

So you're using the beta Insteon plugins for the Powerlinc V2; right?

Did you install the PowerLinc software separately from the plugin setup, or was it installed with the Insteon plugin?

Make sure you have a directory called "Insteon\maps\" inside the HouseBot\Plugins\interfaces\ directory and that there are some files in the directory.
Scott
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

Yes, I'm using the beta plugin

I didn't install any Smarthome software at first. I just upgraded to the latest version of Housebot and installed the beta plugin. When things didn't work, that's when I decided to install the Smarthome software to see if it would work. I can control X10 modules using the Smarthome software. In fact, if I define a device in the Smarthome software (and have it running instead of Housbot and the SDM.exe that's part of the plugin) I'm able to issue commands via IE and they work. So, I know the PowerLinc itself is working.

I have a "maps" directory under the Interfaces directory (\housebot\plugins\interfaces\maps). But, I don't have an Insteon directory. Should I created an Insteon directory and move the maps directory under it? I have the following files in the maps directory: models.txt, plc3-2A.ump, plc3-2B.ump, plc3-2C.ump, plc3-26.ump, plc3-27.ump, plc3-28.ump, plc3-29.ump

Thanks
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

I created an insteon directory under interfaces and moved the maps directory under the insteon directory. Still no luck.
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

I realized I installed an older version of the SDM software (SDM2). I uninstalled it and installed SDM3 and now it's working in Housebot. I'm thinking something in the registry must not have been set correctly due to the older SDM2 being installed.
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

BTW

WOW, I can't believe how much faster the PowerLinc USB sends commands compared to the old CM11A! :)
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Glad to hear you got it resolved. I was thinking it might be some kind of version mix-up. And you are correct, the map files don't go in an Insteon directory (my mistake).
WOW, I can't believe how much faster the PowerLinc USB sends commands compared to the old CM11A! :)
Yes, the PowerLincs are very nice devices. I use the old one and have zero complaints about it. At some point, I'd like to develop a native Hardware Interface for the PowerLinc2 (one that doesn't use the SDM control) to possibly improve performance still more.
Scott
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

ScottBot wrote:At some point, I'd like to develop a native Hardware Interface for the PowerLinc2 (one that doesn't use the SDM control) to possibly improve performance still more.
That gets my vote. :) Native support would be nice. One less thing in the mix is always better for performance and reliability.

However, it's not that big of a deal to me as long as it works (which it now does). :)
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

BTW, for anybody that happens to read this message thread and you are thinking about upgrading your old CM11A controller to a PowerLinc USB V2 controller, my opinion is you will not be dissapointed and it's worth the money. I've had my CM11A for years, but after initially trying to get it working properly a few years ago I gave up. Since then, I've moved into my current house and about 5 months ago decided to try giving the CM11A a try again. Up until this point, I was just using the X10 modules with a transceiver and palm pad remotes. I decided to build a dedicated home automation server using HouseBot and since I already had the CM11A I decided to give it a shot again. For a month or two, I had things working fairly well. Although, I had to use two BoosterLincs and a phase coupler (plug in type) in my house to get it to work "fairly well". And I spent hours trying to find the best locations for the two BoosterLincs so that every module would respond. For whatever reason, about a month or two after getting this all set up things started to go south and continued to get worse until a couple of weeks ago when I decided to upgrade to the PowerLinc USB V2 (after tons of troubleshooting). I didn't know for sure if it would fix my problems, but all my troubleshooting pointed to the CM11A (and possibly line noise as well). Well, since I got my PowerLinc working, I've unplugged the two BoosterLincs (in fact, I had to unplug them because they were causing issues) and now I can nearly flawlessly control all my X10 modules in the entire house with the PowerLinc and no BoosterLincs. Previously there were certain modules that NEVER worked with the CM11A unless I had a BoosterLinc (or two) plugged into very specific locations. And by the way, the PowerLinc is plugged into the same outlet that the CM11A was plugged into. I do still have the phase coupler plugged in and have not tested to see if it's still needed or not. But, since everything is now working very well (and very fast) I think I'm leaving things alone for a while. :)

So, this is a BIG THUMBS UP for the PowerLinc USB V2.