PowerLinc V2 USB Problem

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
bryan

PowerLinc V2 USB Problem

Post by bryan »

Sorry, I know this problem must have a simple solution

I've tried two PowerLinc USB modules and neither appears to generate X10 commands via Housebot. I've tested signal strength, installed a Leviton Phase coupler, confirmed the PowerLinc interface is enabled, and can control the same devices via SH CM11A. I'm running the latest version of Housebot (just downloaded), but I think my PowerLinc USB HW Interface driver is 0.06 (as reported in the HW interface screen)?? I've enable HW interface tracing, and see the desired X10 commands in the log. The devices do nothing.

The two PowerLinc modules behave differently at least as represented by the LED on the side - one flashes continuously, the other only flashes with detected USB commands. Neither controls devices. I can't test directly to see if commands on the wire as my testerlinc isn't working either.

:x

Can anyone help?
bryan

More...

Post by bryan »

Well, after hard resetting the PowerLinc, it now behaves the like my other one (solid LED, HID device in Win Dev manager, housebot will not enable). More significantly, and more likely indicating something I'm doing, none of the SH software recognizes either USB device. For example, SH Synapse reports "USB Powerlinc not found". I know this isn't SH tech support, but has anyone seen this problem?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I've not seen this problem myself. You might want to try another USB cable or USB port.
Scott
loo_hoo_ser

Post by loo_hoo_ser »

I had this problem with my USB Powerlinc - at some point, it stopped responding to any of the software (both Smarthome and Housebot) after providing months of service. My conclusion - it malfunctioned and I contacted Smarthome. Since it was within a year, they provided me a new one, free of charge under their warantee (at the time). Don't know if they've changed the terms since I haven't had to return anything else.
bryan

Update

Post by bryan »

Just to close this thread out...

The SH SW still doesn't recognize the PLC, but after guidance from Scottbot, I was able to get Housebot to recognize the PLC and to recognize X10 commands. I still can't send X10 commands via the PLC, but I can use the CM11A for that part for now. I'll work with SH and see where that goes.
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

What version of the SDM are you running? I had various issues with the version included with the Insteon plugin until I downloaded SDM version 308. I found a copy at this link: http://www.jltsoft.com/SetupSmarthomeDe ... r3-308.exe

Terry
bryan

Update

Post by bryan »

Thanks Terry. I installed the new SDM3 and the PowerLinc seems to be working better - both send and recv X10 commands. I wasn't able to get HB to start the new SDM without exiting, but if I start SDM before HB, all is well. This last issue may be something with my installation - I'm definitely not saying it's universal.

Bryan