Denon 3805 device?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
jkish

Denon 3805 device?

Post by jkish »

Has anybody already built a Denon 3805 device?

I assume so, but I hate to have to reinvent the wheel as I assume many have since this is a fairly popular receiver. It would help propective HouseBot customers if more of these already built devices could be made available.

-John
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

I built a script for an Onkyo and have been around for a while, but have never seen anybody talk about a Denon device. It handles rs232 just like the Onkyo and if you have the protocol and some scripting / programming skills, you could build it yourself. Look in the scripts section to get some examples of how it is done.
jkish

Post by jkish »

Richard Naninck wrote:I built a script for an Onkyo and have been around for a while, but have never seen anybody talk about a Denon device. It handles rs232 just like the Onkyo and if you have the protocol and some scripting / programming skills, you could build it yourself. Look in the scripts section to get some examples of how it is done.
I searched before asking the question and found 3 or 4 references to users that said they were controlling Denon receivers. I'll have a look at your script and see what I can learn from it. Thanks for posting it.

It seems like it would help attract more users if device "drivers" could be gathered together. Those new users then would attract more new users with their new devices. CQC seems to be using this model successfully augment their device portfolio with the help of their user base.
incoronado

Post by incoronado »

I have written scripts for the Yamaha RX-V2600 and the Russound RNET series whole-house receivers. My scripts are very similar to Richard's scripts. He has some very good examples and his scripts make very good/understandable templates to work from. I think they would work well with almost any RS-232 accessible A/V receiver. I highly recommend using them, it will save you a lot of time. I kind of got the feeling he already made a lot of the mistakes I made early on with HB. Because HB is so flexible, there are a lot of different ways to accomplish the same thing with HB. I wisely learned long ago to take Richard's advice -- the first time.

It would be very hard for someone to write plug-ins for so many different devices. First of all, because these type of AV/Receivers systems are not cheap. And you almost need the receiver to test the application. I can understand that writing scripts can be somewhat intimidating for someone who hasn't programmed before. VB script is pretty easy as far as HB programming goes and very worthwhile learning if you really want to tap the utility of Housebot.

And you have a really good/active group of people that are willing to help you out. You might have some fun doing it, too.