"Resettng system time" message

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

"Resettng system time" message

Post by Steve Horn »

I've begun to get a lot of these "resetting system time due to time lag by more than 10 minutes..." messages. Never seen them prior to V3.0. What do they mean and why do they mean it?
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

The message was to help find a problem where the system time would drift off on some machines. It will automatically reset the time (that's what the message is saying). I thought this was resolved for V3... but apparently there are still some systems that see it.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

So its saying my HB server box has clock issues? I'm not sure I understand your reply. Yes I am, I don't understand your reply.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve Horn wrote:So its saying my HB server box has clock issues? I'm not sure I understand your reply. Yes I am, I don't understand your reply.
No. Your machine is fine. It's just an internal problem in the system time plugin, but one which I still can't explain. The problem seems to be more evident on some machines, but there's nothing wrong with the clock on the machine.

It's not a new problem with V3, there's just a message now that states the issue and it will even correct the time when it detects the issue. I just haven't found what's actually causing the issue. In looking at the code, the condition seems impossible.... but it's obviously not.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if I needed to replace my "watch battery" in the box.
Steve
jkish

Post by jkish »

I noticed this message appearing when the HouseBot machine was awakening from hibernation. Not sure if this is the only case, but that is the only time I have seen it.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

If it came out of hibernation, I would expect to see the message. Depending on your setup, it may not be a great idea to allow the machine that the HouseBot server is running on to hibernate. If there are tasks that were to execute at specific times, they may get missed if the machine is sleeping.
Scott
jkish

Post by jkish »

Yes, I agree.

I disabled the hibernation for the very reasons you mention - just thought I would throw that out in case it was the cause of other user's issues.