Insteon Power Line Modem

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Insteon Power Line Modem

Post by ScottBot »

If you would like to help with the development of the Insteon Power Line Modem and be a beta tester, please send an email to [email protected]. Include your name and your Forum user name.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Preface: I'm an Insteon Newbie.
I'm all for adding another Insteon interface. It will eliminate the SDM middleware. Although I've had no problems with it, others apparently have. In addition, the Insteon PLM doc refers to "extended messages" and implies that a PLM would be required to interface with non-Smarthome Insteon devices (HVAC, etc.) But what is unclear to me is what additional capabilities the PLM and the HB plug-in for it, provides over the PLC V2. I have not seen any Insteon devices beyond what Smarthome is currently selling. Are there any? Admittedly, it would be nice to be able to control Insteon devices with Ascii-via-RS232 with alarm cabinets, etc. But from a Housebot perspective, what does the PLM bring to the party?
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve Horn wrote:what does the PLM bring to the party?
Initially, it will have the same level of functionality as the PLC. It costs about $10 less, so that's one advantage (if you don't already have the PLM). I haven't done any tests yet, but the response times seem pretty fast compared to the PLM, so there may be some performance improvements as well as the stability issues that some have with the SDM running all the time.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

You referenced "PLM" twice but I think you mean PLC: "...$10 cheaper than the PLC, if you don't already have a PLC." and "...fast compared to the PLC". Am I reading right? I'll probably go ahead and get a PLM, even though I have a PLC, on the chance that there may be bigger benefits down the road. Right now I'm just thrilled with Insteon and the PLC.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Yea. I guess it's opposite day :?
Scott
bjlamarca

Post by bjlamarca »

My 2 cents:

I am a big insteon fan, and no I am not compensated in any way by smartlabs.

As I have mentioned in this post , http://www.housebot.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... highlight= I have a pretty good setup for testing purposes. My setup is near 100% reliable, and my wife and I like the look and the feel of the product. The bottom line is Insteon has the selling power of SmartHome behind it. So like it or not, Insteon probably is here to stay.

As it being Scotts next choice after the GC-100 plug-in, I agree. The plug-in for the V2 was not complete and had stability issues. He had three choices: leave it be for now, fix the V2, or start fresh with the PLM. Considering the PLM should become a stable, simple, and direct way to control a growing product line, I think he made the right decision.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

I wasn't questioning his judgment or prioritization. Just wondered what additional capabilities the PLM plug-in provided. I'm looking for all I can get out of Insteon - makes it easier to justify replacing the rest of the X10 stuff. :wink:
Steve
Basi

Post by Basi »

Hi Scott,

How is the PLM plugin coming along? I guess what I am really asking is if its available for the general public to test yet?

Thanks,
-Basi
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

It's progressing... slowly. The Insteon and X10 control seems to be working, but there's still a little tuning to go. I'm working on some link management stuff that is turning out to be a bit more challenging than I had hoped.

The final released plugin won't be available until the next version of HouseBot is released, so even after the plugin is complete there are still more core HouseBot features that will be implemented before it will be released to the public.

If you have a PLM, and would like to join the beta group, let me know.
Scott