Query on logging

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
starfire

Query on logging

Post by starfire »

Hi,

I want to log all my X10 PIR sensors power state properties to a single log so I can get an overall picture of what is being fired when.

I create a new PIR log, then for each PIR device set the power state property logging to "Log changes to user log" and chose PIR log.

Within settings tab for the PIR log I choose Window as thats what I want.

The above all works fine BUT the System log is also being updated as well which I don't want as I use the System log to show me tasks firing - how do I stop it updating the system log?

Thanks for any help!
Housebot running my home automation and security
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

You could create a separate trace/log file for your Task data and NOT trace it to the system view.

To do that:
  1. Open the tracing profile (Settings/Tracing... from the main menu).
  2. Select the Advanced button
  3. Select the * Task and * TaskBlock items in the list and click File and enter a filename.
  4. OK out of all dialogs.
The downside of this is that it only gets traced to a log file, not a trace window.
Scott
starfire

Post by starfire »

OK, so is it the case that anything that gets logged to a window will automatically appear in the System Log window? I'd rather not use files, I find the Window a lot easier.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

starfire wrote:OK, so is it the case that anything that gets logged to a window will automatically appear in the System Log window?
Not exactly. If you configure like I suggested in the last post, the Trace messages Won't go to the system window unless you check the 'window' checkbox.
Scott
starfire

Post by starfire »

Perhaps I'm not making myself very clear :?

I want property changes for ALL my X10 PIRs to go to a single trace window called PIR and NOT the system log window.

I want tasks and task block tracing to go to the system log window only.

How do I do the above?

Thanks!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

starfire wrote:I want property changes for ALL my X10 PIRs to go to a single trace window called PIR and NOT the system log window.
If it goes to any of the window logs, it also goes to the system log window. The system log window is really just a place to see EVERYTHING that is happening. Like the error log window is a place to see EVERYTHING that shouldn't be happening.
I want tasks and task block tracing to go to the system log window only.

How do I do the above?
Unfortunately Tasks don't have the same tracing ability as Devices. I agree that this would be a nice feature, but you can't do it now. The best I can suggest is to log it to a trace file and then have a 3rd party viewer display it (I keep putting off writing a VBScript Device that will populate an AlphaList with the results of a log file. That way you could display the log on a SWRemote).
Scott
starfire

Post by starfire »

ScottBot wrote:If it goes to any of the window logs, it also goes to the system log window. The system log window is really just a place to see EVERYTHING that is happening. Like the error log window is a place to see EVERYTHING that shouldn't be happening.
Thats what I thought, thanks for confirming and that makes perfect sense for the system log window to capture everything.
Unfortunately Tasks don't have the same tracing ability as Devices. I agree that this would be a nice feature, but you can't do it now. The best I can suggest is to log it to a trace file and then have a 3rd party viewer display it (I keep putting off writing a VBScript Device that will populate an AlphaList with the results of a log file. That way you could display the log on a SWRemote).
Thanks for your help Scott, I may put in a feature request to have Tasks and Task Blocks to be able to log to their own Window as I would find that useful - I tend to leave tracing permanently on for these so if I get anything unforseen occurring I can check the logs immediately.