How to upgrade from 2.2 to 3.x

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
dpgriffith

How to upgrade from 2.2 to 3.x

Post by dpgriffith »

I had an install of 2.2 but I loaded the trial of 3.x and just got the upgrade key but it won't work. Do I need to uninstall 3.x and put 2.x back on and then upgrade it?

What is the best way to do this and not loose my setup?

Thanks
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Well, always create a backup or just rename the complete HB directory. Install 3.x and enter your 2.x username and password. After that has been accepted, you will be asked to enter the upgrade username and password. After these have been entered, you should be good to go. So an upgrade key cannot go without the previously purchased full 2.x key.
dpgriffith

Post by dpgriffith »

I think I have a problem. I entered in the name I believe is correct and the key but it is saying it is not a valid name/key. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I don't recall having more than one previous key, but I suppose it is possible. As I recall I made the original purchase when it was cebotics and then I believe while it was with Meedio I upgraded also.

I did let the 3.x trial I was using expire and now get a screen on startup to enter the key info and that is where I am trying to enter it.

Any suggestions?
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Other than trying different sets of names + keys from original purchase and upgrades... No.

What happens if you install HB from scratch without overwriting an old version. Just rename the current HB directory.

If nothing works, I guess Scott is the only one to comment on this.
dpgriffith

Post by dpgriffith »

Is there a way to retrieve the name and key from an install?
I have an old hard drive that kept crashing but I may be able to get it to boot up long enough to get the info if there is a way.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

dpgriffith wrote:Is there a way to retrieve the name and key from an install?
If you enter HouseBotSever.exe INFO at the command prompt in the directory with the EXE, it should display the current license key info.
Scott
dpgriffith

Post by dpgriffith »

Hey Scott, that didn't work. I got a message that it couldn't the file with extension []. This is an unknown extension type.,
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I just PM'ed you some info about this.
Scott