Cant start SWRemote

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
maze42

Cant start SWRemote

Post by maze42 »

Im running a computer with WinXP Pro configured for several users. One user have adminstrator rights (me) while the others have restricted rights (my kids). I have created a sw remote that I would like all users to run. The problem is that it is only the user with administartor rights (me) that can run the remote. When some of my kids starts the remote the normal client configuration window will show and after filling in remote name and server address and "OK" button I got an error message saying "Software Remote NAME is unknown. Unable to login to the HouseBot Server." My guess is that it has something to do with file writing permit but i cant figure it out what do do abut it!

Maze
HouseBot 3.10
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Re: Cant start SWRemote

Post by yaccri »

Maze,

Is your HB server running on the same PC, under your account?
maze42

Post by maze42 »

No, its running on a another PC on my network.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Unfortunately the current version will not allow you to run either the server or the remotes under non-Admin accounts. The next version will allow both to run under limited user accounts.

The problem is due to two different issues. If you want to roll up your sleeves you might be able to get it to work with the current version. The two issues are:
  1. Registry permissions: The SWRemote writes to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CeBotics\HouseClient which is only accessible to Admin accounts. To resolve this you *should* (note that I've not tested this) be able to use REGEDIT and change the permissions on that key to allow the non-admin local user account to have "full control" of the key and it's sub-keys.
  2. By default the application root directory that the SWRemote writes to is under the "Program Files" directory. Non-admin accounts can't write to this directory. To resolve this, when prompted with the configuration screen on the SWRemote, set the root application directory to the user profile directory (typically something like C:\Users\<username>), or another directory where they can write to.
Again, I've not tested these ideas for resolving the issue, but after spending some time recently fixing the problems for the next release, these are my best guesses for a work-around.
Scott
maze42

Post by maze42 »

:( No succsess with your work-around. When will next relaese be aviable?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

The next release won't be available for a while yet. If you're interested in beta testing this particular feature, the beta will probably start in a couple of weeks. Let me know if you are interested.
Scott