What's coming in the next release?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
davemgraham

What's coming in the next release?

Post by davemgraham »

Hi Scott,

I've seen a few posts mention some new features in the pipeline.

Just wondering if you have a list of features/functionality that is due to be released soon ? What can we all look forward to ? :D

Cheers,

Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Dave,

Although I don't have a long list of features for the next version, what I have added took a good amount of rewrite of the Theme graphic system.

I've added support for JPEG and PNG images when creating Themes. One of the big (at least for me) benefits is that PNG supports partial transparencies, which allows you to create semi-transparent images that allow the background to bleed through. You can create some cool effects using partial transparencies.

Also, now when you place a control with any transparency in it's image, or select the 'Transparent Background' option for any of the text controls, the background will be the background of the image it is over. In the past, it would be of the background of the Panel, even if the control was sitting over an Image control. This has always bothered me.

PNG files are MUCH smaller than BMP's and are lossless (unlike JPEG).

I wanted to add the JPEG support for future audio/media features where you might want to display an image of an album cover, which are generally more available in JPEG than BMP or PNG.

That's really about it. It's just something I've been wanting to do for a loooong time.

Scott