Volume Slider with IR

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
MichaelK

Volume Slider with IR

Post by MichaelK »

Perhaps I'm having a brain cramp, but I can't seem to figure out how to assign an IR code for volume up/down to a slider movement. If I were to assign a voume down command to any value less than 50 (for example), I would never be able to raise the volume using the slider if I dropped below 50. Does this make sense? Thanks!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Michael,

I'm not following 100%, but I'm thinking that you are probably trying to move a slider setup for volume control and have it send out the appropriate IR codes to actually set the volume to the correct level.

If this is what you are configuring, it may be a little tricky, since IR controlled devices generally do not have a method of jumping to a specific volume level. Here are some suggestions:
  1. Use a gauge control to show the volume and provide buttons to bump the volume up and down by one.
  2. When the Value controlled by the Slider changes, execute a VB Script (using a Task and the Script Device) to loop and send out repeated IR up or down commands to bring the requested volume level to the actual level. Although this solution sounds more like what you are trying to do, it does have several issues that may not make it practical.
  3. See if the equipment has an RS232 interface. If so, it may allow you to send absolute volume levels through the RS232 protocol.
Scott