HouseBot Serial Control over DSC Security Panels

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
edgar

Re: HouseBot Serial Control over DSC Security Panels

Post by edgar »

Hi all, I have a DSC832 alarm panel and was looking for this functionality in HB. I have the new interface module. It is the IT-100 from DSC. It replaces the PC5401. In any case I am looking at the code posted here (imported) but don't see the hardware definitions file. Does anyone know how I need to build one for the device? This is my first time working with the generic serial device. Any/all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kevin
bjlamarca

Post by bjlamarca »

Attached the hdf file. The 'Send-Code' command has been deleted. There should be plenty of discussion about the generic serial module, do a search. Also read the HB help file.
Attachments
DSC832.zip
(389 Bytes) Downloaded 320 times
edgar

Post by edgar »

Thank you very much for the def file.

I do have a question about your script you use. As a newbie to HB, and not a stronger coder, does your script as written with 'cases' continuously check the serial input or do you need to run this script periodically from HB. It appears that it monitors the serial device continuously. If so, how does running a script compare to running a HB task to detect information coming in from the serial device. I did get the serial device running and am communicating with my panel now....just wondering if going through a script is more advantageous or not.

Thanks for your help!
bjlamarca

Post by bjlamarca »

Every time the Serial device receives data from the panel, the script is run. This is accomplished by creating a Task that watches the ‘Received Data’ property on the device linked to the hardware interface. The statement from the task is below. ‘GB’ is just a random string that will never be.

If(‘DSC832\DSC832Serial.Received Data’ is Not Equal ‘GB’) Then Change ‘DSC832\Scr-DS832ControlScript.State’ to ‘Running’

Generally you want to use scripts because they give you much more flexibility. Look at the example script that comes with HB, writing a simple script is pretty easy.