Security Alarm System

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

Thanks :) It seems to be working pretty well. There are a couple of quirks but the bottom line is you can't disarm the system when it's in away mode without punching in the PIN number (or disabling the housebot server) so it's a bit more secure than using the X10 security remotes with only a simple button push.

I guess my location isn't as clear as it could be. Yep, I'm in the states (Philadelphia suburbs).

I usually check this forum every day so I'll be sure to answer any questions that are posted.
talisman

Post by talisman »

Yeah i saw where you where after i replied to you (when you look back at previous replies within the reply section it shows your name but not where your from DOH!)

The alarm system i have can ring a few phone numbers if the alarm is activated. Which is great if you have a landline..... which i dont!!! Just a mobile phone user im afraid!!

Have you, or do you know of anyone, that has figured a way to get HouseBot to send an SMS TEXT message to you if a state is activated?
Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

I have housebot sending me an email and a SMS text message to my iPAQ (which is my cell phone). I'm just using the email sender device in housebot. Nothing special. I have a cable internet connection to my house.

I also don't have a landline. I have VoIP service using Vonage and my internet connection. However, as far as a computer modem or phone is concerned it looks and works like a regular landline. I have it hooked into my housebot server's modem and get caller id from it.
talisman

Post by talisman »

Ok i have broadband connection to the HTPC, but as for VoIP service using Vonage no idea lol
TakeFlight

Post by TakeFlight »

VoIP is Voice over Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Vonage is a company that offers phone service via the internet. I think they are only offering service for the US and Canada.
talisman

Post by talisman »

Yeah we shoukld get it here next year apparantely. thanks TF