Need help choosing light switches, etc...

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
RxMan

Need help choosing light switches, etc...

Post by RxMan »

I am planning on getting a Powerlinc USB (if that is one of the better ones) to start my home automation project. The first set of lights that I want to control are the main living room lights. There are 2 sets of lights and each is controlled by a 3-way switch. I want a switch that is 3-way (of course) and allows on/off and dimming at the switch as well as by remote.

I am actually not set on using Powerlinc usb. I want something that will allow future expansion.

I prefer the Levitron switches. I'm just not sure which one will do what I want.

Thanks.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Personally, I think the USB PowerLinc is one of the best X10 computer interfaces, but I've not used them all.

For Leviton switches, you can use something like this. You use the regular switch for one of the switches and the 'slave' switches for the other 3-way switches. They don't wire up the same as the existing 3-ways, but it works. HouseBot allows you to set the direct dim level via X10 for these switches.
Scott
RxMan

Post by RxMan »

Can those switches be dimmed manually at the switch? I don't see a slider on the switch.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

RxMan wrote:Can those switches be dimmed manually at the switch? I don't see a slider on the switch.
Yes. You have to press and hold the switch for the dim level to change.
Scott
RxMan

Post by RxMan »

OK. Thanks.

I want to make sure I have this right. For one set of lights, I take out the existing 3-way dimmer switch and replace it with the x10 switch mentioned above. The other switch I just keep it the same?

Sorry for all of the questions.
switzch

Post by switzch »

I believe the smart home switches have dimmers and direct dimming via x10 which is good. I just ordered 2 so we will see how they work.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

RxMan wrote:OK. Thanks.
I want to make sure I have this right. For one set of lights, I take out the existing 3-way dimmer switch and replace it with the x10 switch mentioned above. The other switch I just keep it the same?
Sorry for all of the questions.
The link that I referenced actually had several different switches listed at the bottom. You will need to replace each switch in the 3-way circuit. Once switch (any one) will need to be replaced with a 2203 or 2209. The other 3-way's will need to get replaced with the slave 2365 switches. SmartHome actually has the manuals for the switches on-line, so you can look into the wiring before you purchase them. Worthington Distribution actually has better prices for these switches.
Scott