Any possibility of supporting Command Cubes?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
e_patsellis

Any possibility of supporting Command Cubes?

Post by e_patsellis »

Scott/Alan, any possibility of future support of Command Cubes, or is such a question verboten given Meedio's competing product?

erie
deckhardt

Post by deckhardt »

I'll second that.

Love to be able to use one of the multiple out sound cards for different audio in different zones.
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

It's certainly never out of the question to ask. Whether it makes the development plan or not is primarily an issue of demand. We believe that the combination of Meedio Essentials, Meedio TV, and Meedio HouseBot will provide customers with the best value and the best integrated experience, but we also let our customers choose other components if they are best for their needs. However, aside from this thread I haven't seen any other requests to support Command Cubes. Even if we don't support Command Cubes directly, though, it may be possible for an end-user or third-party developer to create a plugin for it.
deckhardt

Post by deckhardt »

The link below is the ONLY reason I would look for command cubes support, zoned home audio would be a HUGE selling point.

Tune the TV to the multiplexed Meedio Channel, use the remote to select my location, and select the Music I wanted to listen to, without effecting the music selections elsewhere in the home.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 105&depa=0
e_patsellis

Post by e_patsellis »

actually, with drivers from the kx project

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com

that can be done with nearly any audigy/SB EMU 10kx based card.(see above website for details) If someone could find/write an ASIO plugin for winamp, there are several open source ASIO driver projects that support AC97, EMU 10kx, Ensoniq, and bunches of other cards (even the onboard audio on the omnipresent intel 810 and 815 chipsets)

Even if you don't use command cubes, the basic concept espoused by Xlobby, mulitple winamp installs in separate directories, using different outputs, is sound. I presently have one machine running 3 instances of winamp,and using 3 different ports, have all 3 accesible by web browser.

There is a plugin for winamp that allows you to play whatever is attached to your inputs, as a link in a playlist.

To sum up, without any software other than winamp, the kx project drivers and a few plugins, you can presently implement a open architecture multizone, multisource preamp on a x86 intel platform for under $500 complete (as soon as I find the right combination of inputs and touchscreen pc's,my Elan z630 preamp goes up for sale)

what I'm playing with now is a serial control input for winamp, that will allow basic functionality within HouseBot, unless there is another way to implement control of 2 or 3 instances of winamp on a remote machine (via tcp/ip for example)

Failing that, I'm considering scrapping over 2 years worth of HB based development for something else, as it's getting harder to justify it when there are other options, though I have several installation using HB, it's rapidly not making sense anymore, there's quite a bit of development that could/should be going on in the area of hardware plugins that I just don't see happening. When it was freeware, you got what you payed for, and the onus was on us to make it work, as a commercial offering, there just needs to be a greater level of support than I've seen. I'd gladly pay for a product that is supported at a reasonable level.

erie