RS-232 and Bose Lifestyle 30 help.....

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
bhyland

RS-232 and Bose Lifestyle 30 help.....

Post by bhyland »

Hi All,

I'm a complete NOOB when it comes to Housebot and I'm just taking a look at this for the first time and wondering if I can do some automation at home.

One area I really would love to do is control my Bose system via the serial interface without haveing to drop $150 on the C-1024 RF/IR device ;)

Does anyone have any experience with this? I think I can pickup a 3.5mm serial data cable cheaply but after that I'm lost as I cannot find anything on google regarding the Bose implementation of RS-232 or serial commands? looks like the keep them in the professional installer world.... not a DIY thing I guess?

Well hoping I can find an expert in RS-232 or even better someone who has integrated the Bose Lifestyle 30...

Have to admit getting excited about the possibilities :D I have just ordered my ViewPad on ebay hahaha

Thanks
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Welcome to the world of HouseBot :!:

HouseBot includes a Generic Serial plugin and method for defining your own commands that are sent through the PC comm port. The commands can then be associated to HouseBot Device Properties to be controlled with a Software Remote or Tasks.

I did a quick look too for the Bose RS-232 protocol specification on the Internet and didn't come up with anything at first look. You might want to contact their customer support and see if they can provide you with it (The worst they can do is say "No").
Scott
jabloomf1230

Re: RS-232 and Bose Lifestyle 30 help.....

Post by jabloomf1230 »

bhyland wrote:Hi All,

One area I really would love to do is control my Bose system via the serial interface

I 've had no problem controlling my Denon 3805 receiver with HouseBot through the serial port. Fortunately Denon publishes their RS-232 codes on their website. Which Bose unit are you trying to control? I know the Bose Pro line units have a serial port, but you need to download Bose's proprietary software to your PC in order to control the Pro line units. Other than emailing Bose and asking them about the codes, there's not much you can do.
bhyland

Post by bhyland »

Yeap looks like I could be in for a fun ride ;)

I've pretty much exhausted all avenues right about now so I'll wait to see if I get a response from Bose (not keeping my fingers crossed ;) )

I know it is possible to control the lifestyle 30 system through the serial connection as the Audio Authority C-1024 does this (converts the IR to serial by all accounts) and I have also established that Creston has a published list of codes (but you have to be a system installer etc. to get access to this data) so it does look as if Bose keeps this data close to their chest (additional revenue streams do I hear you cry).

Sad really as they have to be on eof the most non-standard players in the game and to be honest if I had done any sort of research many years ago I would NEVER have sunk such a large chunk of cash on this system...... back then I really wasn't into AV and was young, free, single with too much spare cash :D

I've ordered a cable in the vain hope I might be able to use a "sniffer" to monitor any traffic as I use the remote / controls or recieve the codes from Bose or some kind hearted Creston installer :twisted:

Cheers
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

... I know the Bose Pro line units have a serial port, but you need to download Bose's proprietary software to your PC in order to control the Pro line units.
If you can get the application, you can capture the commands with something like PortMon.
Scott
bhyland

Post by bhyland »

Well looks like I'm out of luck on this one, guess I'll have to consider the Blue Dot product in the end as Bose seem to care only about revenue streams than us poor consumer ;) I'll be saving the pennies for a replacement system that can easily be controlled by serial int he future :) until then if any kindly creston engineer is passing through and has sympathy email this poor soul :D

Bose Technical Support response:

[i]Brian,

If you have a Crestron system, your best bet is to contact the Crestron dealer for this information. This information is available to Crestron dealers only.

Thank you for contacting Bose Corporation.

Richard Card

Product and Technical Support Team[/i]

Cheers

Brian
jplotzke

Post by jplotzke »

Have you possibly gotten any farther with this? I've been searching for the same thing for about 6 months now... and have went down the same road you have. Contacted Bose, no help there. Also contacted Crestron when I found they could control it, but no one there could help. I'd really like to incorporate this unit using the data port. My last option was going to be to try to reverse engineer the port and trying to guess commands...

Have anyone out there found a way to interface with this? Please let me know.

Thanks!

~Jeff