So I have Housebot - now what do I buy?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Crashless

So I have Housebot - now what do I buy?

Post by Crashless »

So I bit, the $20 off got me. I was going to buy it anyways, but the sale got me.

Now I have to go spend more money, but what do I spend it on?

I want there to be a real switch on the wall for most everything. (read: future wife doesn't want "to be trapped in her own home") So I think if I'm understanding the way X10 works, I want wall switches that are both recievers and transmitters. Is that right? I also want the switch to respond to dim controls, so I can create 'scenes' easily with direct level dimming. Is there a switch that fits this bill?

Lamp modules should be able to carry a fairly respectable load (about 200w) and also respond to direct diming. Leviton Lamp module, from the smarthome.com site seems to fit the bill, but it's $46! Is that normal? I don't plan on needing a whole lot of them, but geez, is there another option that has this direct dimming?

USB x10 controller, compatible with housebot - what is everyone using? What's 'top-of-the-line'? I don't want to find out later I could have spend $20 more and gotten additional functionality. I don't think I need the ones with built-in memory because I already have housebot, is that right?

Wireless x10 transmitter/reciever, preferrably USB - not serial, I need this to talk with a...

Wireless motion detector, battery operated, inconspicuous (sp?), compatible with above.

Suggestions for the cheapest PPC w/ wifi. This one is far off, but I still would like to be able to track things on ebay in case of a deal. All the ones I seem to come across are $300. What are people using for s/w remotes? I'll need a dock for it too...

Overall advice, what's the most common mistake people make when they start?

Thanks so much for the advice. I realize some of these questions have been answered before, so feel free to post "search for it".
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

Depending on your requirements and your timing you may want to wait a bit and look at Z-Wave instead of X10. It is generally considered more robust and more reliable however there are not yet as many devices available. This should be changing soon though.
Crashless

Post by Crashless »

I've always considered z-wave. But as you pointed out there aren't as many options if I go that route. Could you point me in the direction of a good retailer/etailer that carries z-wave products that are close to meeting the specs I'm looking for? I've gotten a couple of leads, but they haven't exactly gotten my blood running...
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

Give Worthington Distribution a call. They don't have Z-Wave listed on their website but they do carry them. Or if you want to see some items try ASIHome.

As I mentioned, there are not as many Z-Wave devices available yet but judging by what has been announced over the last few months, there should be much more out there by the end of the year.