newby! Help me to choose what to buy.

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
DamNick

newby! Help me to choose what to buy.

Post by DamNick »

Well i am a new user of Meedio HB and a begginer in to house automation.

I want to buy some devices for light controlling and motion detectors, But i don't know what devices are the best.

As i see there are so many different like insteon, x-10, z-wave etc.

What is the best for you? taking into concederation the fact of responce time, easy installation etc.

Thanks for your time.
showson1

Post by showson1 »

If you want to use motion sensors I think you're going to have to go the X10 route.. I know they don't have INSTEON motion sensors and don't think they have Zwave ones.

Here's what I have / suggest.

Get some Insteon and / or Icon stuff from smarthome and use that in X10 mode until more Insteon stuff (like motion sensors) come out.

The Smarthome stuff seems to more reliable than the X10 stuff, but in X10 mode you can use them with the X10 devices.

I took a bunch of X10 switches out and replaced them with ICON switches.. MUCH nicer.

Head over and read some posts at accessha.com forums, a lot of home automation stuff over there.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Z-wave does offer a PIR motion detector. approx $79 at http://www.smartproducts.us/Zwave.htm. I cannot tell youi how good they are though. But based on the apparent robustness of the Z-wave protocol, I suspect that they should be pretty reliable.
Steve