HB limits?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

HB limits?

Post by yaccri »

I'm curious to know if there are any real-life limits to HouseBot.
Since it's a software product, and it takes very little CPU power, it looks like HB will handle any installation, as large as it can be, with no issues.

I pesonally used HB with a couple of hundred devices and over 100 tasks, both automatic and normal, and I didn't encounter any problems at the server side.

CAN HB EASILY HANDLE MUCH LARGER INSTALLATIONS?

Having SWRemote running on a SIMPad with Win CE I wasn't able to load a theme with about 15 panels. That was tested with version 2.22. I didn't test it with version 2.31.
In the past, users reported problems with panels with many indicators. I don't know if it is fixed in version 2.31.

SHOULD THERE BE ANY PROBLEMS WITH SWREMOTE ON LARGE INSTALLATIONS?

Please share your experiences with HB.

HBServer:
- How many devices you control?
- How many normal tasks do you have?
- How many automatic tasks (when conditions are met) do you have?
- How many script devices?
- Did you encounter any problems?

SWRemote:
- Number of panels
- Success/Failure with hardware types (like certain models of Pocket PCs)?
- Other issues?

Thank you
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

I also have a fairly large installation. Here are some specifics.

- 82 regular devices
- 90 script devices
- 65 automatic tasks
- 65 manual tasks
- 7 hardware interfaces
- IR codes for 21 remote controls
- 7 regularly used themes/remotes
- 42 panels on the largest theme (most have at least 30 panels)

I've used my ViewSonic ViewPad 100s and my iPaq H2215 for software remotes with no issues. I'm currently running an 800x600 resolution theme with 17 panels on my ViewPads with no problems. I have seen the indicator issue occasionally but that was on a fairly old computer and my guess is that the problem is related to lack of resources on the video card.

I have the same general impression as you - you could have a VERY large system without any significant issues. The only issues I have seen is that when you have themes with MANY panels you may run into graphic or memory issues (I've seen this several times on my ViewPads and also on some of my older PCs running Windows XP).

I run HouseBot on a dedicated server that has pretty decent hardware (2.6Ghz Celeron but only 512MB of RAM). Before this server I was running on a 866Mhz Pentium III with no issues.