trouble making a transparent backgroung for a round button

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Dazed and confused

trouble making a transparent backgroung for a round button

Post by Dazed and confused »

I found some round button images that I would like to edit for use in a HouseBot theme. I've searched the forum over and over for an answer but can only get some of the info I need.

I found Scott's ImageDup utility and figured out how to make that work, except the transparency part.(Thanks Scott, Thanks Richard).

I found another poster that was having trouble with the same thing in Paint Shop Pro like myself, but it appears that he found a program that did the job of making a transparent backgroung for the button. He didn't say what program he found to do that task. I read that PhotoShop does the job but what PhotoShop? In Paint Shop Pro it has a transparent background but it shows in HouseBot????

Can someone tell me what program I need to make the button appear correctly in HouseBot? Or tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong. It doesn't matter if I have to buy a program or not, I just need a workable solution.

Thanks,
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

If you want transparancy then save your image as png instead of jpg. Not sure if you already tried that. PSP is perfectly capable of creating transparancy which is displayed correctly in HouseBot.
Dazed and confused

Post by Dazed and confused »

I did that several times with no success. I must be doing something else wrong. I really have no experience with the program other then some tinkering.
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

Can you post the button images? then maybe we can make some suggestions. I use gimp- which is free- I could ceratinly tell you exactly how to do it with gimp, if we can't get it from general concepts with PSP.
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

If you can find a copy of Microsoft's old Photo Editor that will work also. It used to be included with older versions of Office (XP I believe) and can be found today on the 'net zipped up with it's dependant dlls. Search for photoed.zip and you should find it somewhere. Get version 3.01 if you can as 3.00 has a couple of problems.

It's extremely easy to do transparencies with photoed, you basically click on the transparency tool, then click on the area you want to be transparent. Save as a .gif or .png and you done. I've found it easier to use than GIMP PhotoShop or others that I've tried.

Terry