Forums

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
jonkjon

Forums

Post by jonkjon »

Fancy!! The new forums are nice.....I don't know how you find the time to do all of this.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Forums

Post by ScottBot »

Glad you like! I've been wanting to get the forums upgraded for some time. I'm actually going to have more time to devote to HB development.
Scott
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

I must say it takes some to get used to the new layout. One good thing did change for me though because now my cookie seems to be sticky. On the previous website I always lost my login and now I remain logged in. :D
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Richard Naninck wrote:I must say it takes some to get used to the new layout. One good thing did change for me though because now my cookie seems to be sticky. On the previous website I always lost my login and now I remain logged in. :D
Yea, I'm still adjusting too. I think once we've adapted, it will be clearly a better system. This version has way more options than the old one. I'm still trying to get my head around all the options (mostly things I don't care about).
Scott
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

On the old forum, if I visited and read some of the messages, (the ones I was interested in ;-) when I came back, the other messages were no longer marked as new. Is there a way I can change my settings to get this behavior back?

thanks

markd
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

markd wrote:On the old forum, if I visited and read some of the messages, (the ones I was interested in ;-) when I came back, the other messages were no longer marked as new. Is there a way I can change my settings to get this behavior back?

thanks

markd
That is a new 'feature' that seems to be un-controllable. The alternative is to make sure you click the Mark All Read link at the top level before leaving. Or I think you can click the View New Posts link at the top level to just see the new stuff.

I can see both sides of this. For me, it's an improvement because sometimes things would slip by me if I didn't get a chance to respond to each new topic before I closed my browser (not really a huge issue with such few posts). Now if I didn't read the post, it will still show as unread.

I agree that it would be nice if it were a user selectable option. I'll keep an eye out for a mod to do this.
Scott
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

Hadn't noticed the View New link. . . that will probably work for me. I'm in the habit of using it from Cocoontech anyways.

thanks!

Markd
Richard Naninck

I always missed the "View new posts" option in the old forum and so I had to watch the dates and times all the time. Glad this new forum has the option as was stated by Scott. I wasn't even looking for it but now I now its there I won't be using anything else. Thanks

I have the option set for "notify new posts". I guess that should mean that I should get an email on replies to a thread I was posting to, but I didn't get any notification that others had responded to this thread?!?! Or do I just get a response on threads that I started?
ericvic

Post by ericvic »

One problem I'm having that I sometimes had with the old forum is that it won't keep me logged in. Every time I return to the forum I have to login in again even though I have checked the "keep me logged in" checkbox.

Eric
Hobby Boards
Complete 1-Wire solutions
http://www.hobby-boards.com
Richard Naninck

That's exactly what I was having with the old forum. The new forum keeps me logged in when I approach it directly from IExplore, but when I try to follow a link from my email, then the forum asks me to log in which is strange, because I am already logged in. This happens even when I check the 'keep me logged in' option.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I'm seeing it too. I think it depends on whether you enter on the cebotics domain or the housebot domain. What domain are you guys using that either works or doesn't?

For me, cebotics works, but housebot doesn't (as far as remembering my login). I'm thinking about fixing it so housebot works and redirecting all cebotics forum traffic to housebot.com.
Scott
ericvic

Post by ericvic »

I'm using the housebot domain.

Eric
Hobby Boards
Complete 1-Wire solutions
http://www.hobby-boards.com
Richard Naninck

That might be it then. I am using Cebotics to login from IExplore and it is sticky, but I am getting the Housebot domain in my emails and that isn't sticky.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I installed a mod that's supposed to help with this. It seems to be working for me on both domains. Let me know if you see any more problems.
Scott
Richard Naninck

This time the email redirects me to cebotics and thus I get logged in automatically. :D