Housebot new user - Observations and some questions

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
TonyG

Housebot new user - Observations and some questions

Post by TonyG »

Hi Everyone,

First post to this forum, and I think the first thing to say is how impressed I am with the product so far.

Came to Housebot through a requirement to control the Sonos music system installed in my car (Large MPV / Camper). Osler has developed a great solution for the Sonos, and I have really enjoyed working on this (especially the excellent graphics implementation). Top Man Osler.

My car system is based on the use of an encoder and soft switches. The switches change function dependent on the screen and the menu. I have previously used girder for all of the solution, but Housebot has dramatically simplified how the graphic front end controls and handles the soft-switch logic.

Question time...
I am still using Girder for the encoder control of the applications, and also emply a lot of logic / program state checking/housekeeping to keep the system working smoothly. I quickly got the Housebot>Gider 5 plugin working well, and have replaced all the menus/front end GUI with Housebot.

I'm now looking to get some status messages/commands back from girder into Housebot. I'm guessing this might be done using external control, but I've had no luck getting started with this. Has any done this who could share their wisdom??

Observations and suggestions
So far, so good with Housebot. As a user who doesn't use touch screens, I guess my requirements and experiences are a little different. I use the PC keyboard shortcuts within each screen of a remote theme.

What I would like to see is a few more "non-touchscreen" friendly options;
1) More control on the GUI graphics for when you scroll through the buttons using an encoder (which simulates the scroll of the mouse). Currently, each scroll affects a small yellow highlight around the control button. I would like to be able to configure this (as I did in Girders old HTMLOSD, using HTML), to make the scrolling options more visable (as you need in a car).
2) The ability for a keyboard shortcut to execute the "button down" graphics when buttons are pressed i.e. achieve the same same as a touchscreen button push.
3) A HID plugin for joysticks, keypads, encoders etc - I'm using the excellent U-HID usb interface for all my switches and encoders. Expensive but very configurable: http://www.u-hid.com
4) An expansion of the HID trigger options within the Software Remote Theme Pages, currently keyboard shortcuts with modifiers, but would like joypad buttons (they don't clash with application shortcuts!), and mouse scroll up/down.

Hopefully you understand the basis of my suggestions are an expansion of the interface for hardware buttons for a PC remote, and not just a PDA remote.

That's it for now, as I said; really enjoying the app so far.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Re: Housebot new user - Observations and some questions

Post by Osler »

TonyG:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the compliment(s).

The look and feel of the swremote I will have to leave to Scott, but there may be some (cumbersome) workarounds you can do with a program such as AutoIt to get actual button presses to occur on selection.

I would encourage you to try to move you Girder controlled stuff to HB. If this is a no go then you may be able to use Girder Lua scripting (using HBControlMod.dll) with an External Control Device to obtain bidirectional communication. This would also require more work on your part. Others here use Girder and may be able to provide some more specific input.

Is there an API for the u-hid device?

I want to see some pictures of this mobile set-up!!!

Osler
TonyG

Re: Housebot new user - Observations and some questions

Post by TonyG »

Thanks Osler,

Useful information on my Girder question. I'll have a look at Lua for HBControlMod.dll.

The i-HID has an SDK. The API functions are written in C#, C++, Delphi, VB6, and VB.NET

It can be downloaded here: http://www.ultimarc.com/pacdrive.html

As for the car project: It's a big project! - a whole new dashboard design, which will incorporate a small 7" heads-up display (including some basic Sonos "now playing" info), and then uses a 12.1" display for map content and menu lists (including Sonos library selections). The project is at the 4th stage (final prototype), and has the Sonos, PC, Power controls and 7" LCD working. The Sonos has been converted to DC power supplies, so no AC invertors. It uses a Buffalo Mini NAS. The output is direct to an Alpine PXA701 DSP using optical for a decoupled signal - important in car/computer installations. For radio, it's the Sonos again. The car has a Billion Bipac 3G router. So, mobile internet and a wireless hotspot. The boys have Ipod touches, so they can control the music in the back.

As for pictures, I shall be creating a project site in the autumn, when I should have the 12.1" LCD up and running.

I have many new ideas for Housebot and this project. But for now, it's mostly for the Sonos.

Thanks again, Osler.