excuse this possibly dumb question...

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
kvollrath

excuse this possibly dumb question...

Post by kvollrath »

Is the new system purely a user interface to a computer or can it be accessed via a Web browser - or both?
kbosscawen

Post by kbosscawen »

If you're referring to HouseBot, I think it's real strength is in it's ability to centralize control of household functions (all kinds) but still be able to remotely control those household functions from various platforms via HouseBot's software remotes. I've currently got a single HouseBot server, but use both a DELL Axim PDA and an old Fujitsu Point510 (touchscreen) to control certain functions. Right now the functions that HouseBot is controllling for me includes: Various X10 devices, announcing callers with CID, announcing visitors with motion detectors, TV program listings, Home theatre control (including MP3 library), weather, kid's chore lists, and alarm system control. I'm hoping to add movie theatre listings, answering machine functionality, and thermostat control in the near future.

I'm not a long-time Meedio/MyHTPC user (I downloaded it last night :oops: ), but from what I can tell remote control from different devices is one area that Meedio may be missing (Please correct me if I've missed something). On the other hand, Meedio has much more sophisticated media management capabilities than HouseBot does.

They could be very synergistic products if they're handled right....
jennyfur

Post by jennyfur »

kbosscawen wrote:I'm not a long-time Meedio/MyHTPC user (I downloaded it last night :oops: ), but from what I can tell remote control from different devices is one area that Meedio may be missing (Please correct me if I've missed something).
You might want to check here, it's the remotes forum:

http://www.meedio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

There are many many different possibilities out there for control. IR, RF, PDA, gamepad, you name it.
kvollrath

Post by kvollrath »

I guess I should clarify what I'm asking...

Specifically, in terms of meedio, is there a Web component to the software, like an HTML-generated page served from the meedio computer that I could browse to and present on a ViewSonic AirPanel for instance? (I had been investigating MyHTPC, so I understand how that worked) I'm looking to briing the interface forward to the user (me), much like a Crestron/AMX configuration. I could do it with a RDP session to the "server", but I was wondering if this was a capability or thought about?

As for HouseBot, I would ask the same question...
sbass

Post by sbass »

kvollrath wrote:I guess I should clarify what I'm asking...

Specifically, in terms of meedio, is there a Web component to the software, like an HTML-generated page served from the meedio computer that I could browse to and present on a ViewSonic AirPanel for instance? (I had been investigating MyHTPC, so I understand how that worked) I'm looking to briing the interface forward to the user (me), much like a Crestron/AMX configuration. I could do it with a RDP session to the "server", but I was wondering if this was a capability or thought about?

As for HouseBot, I would ask the same question...

Someone is working on a module that would allow Meedio to act as a webserver per your requirements.

Shawn
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

Meedio HouseBot includes "software remotes" which provide the same functionality that you're looking for. You can create customizable themes that contain interactive widgets to display and control various properties of your home theater and automation systems.

These software remotes run on most Windows platforms including Windows CE and Pocket PC so you can run them fullscreen on a PDA or tablet PC and have the same functionality as a Crestron or AMX system.

Since this is a native executable running locally on the client the performance is much better than you could ever get with a web-based interface, plus it maintains a two-way connection so the server can update the client at any time. For example, if you have an X10 wall switch to turn off a light and a widget to show the status of that light on your software remote then when you hit the switch the client display will automatically update in real time.