Internet

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Issac

Internet

Post by Issac »

Can housebot be controled over the internet like homeseer?
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

Yes and no. Homeseer uses a web interface which means the data you see is only as current as the last time you hit the refresh button in your browser. HouseBot uses native Windows clients to show you real-time interactive status. As long as you open a port on your firewall (defaults to 5009) you can run the clients on any PC, WinCE, Pocket PC, or Windows Mobile device anywhere on your LAN or across the Internet.

If you need to use a web browser interface anyway HouseBot does come with an ActiveX control so that you can control it from an ASP webpage, but it will only provide the same non-realtime type of interface that Homeseer does.
martijnj

Where can I find this control??

Post by martijnj »

Hi,

Where can I find this ActiveX Control for Housebot??

Martijn
Thales

Internet

Post by Thales »

Does anyone no if is possible to run HB, from intenet with dyndns?
I tryed but without success.
If is it possible what is the format?
I tryed http://www.---dyndns.org:104(IP of the server)
And first I open the 5090 port as post
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

The ":104" in your example will not be viewed as an address, it will be viewed as a TCP port. You will need an additional step or two:

1. Make sure any local Windows firewall on the HB server is allowing port 5090 to pass.
2. Be sure that your DYDNS client is up and functional on your PC.
3. (Probably the part you're missing) Add a NAT mapping in your dsl/cable router to point external hits on port 5090 to the ip address and port 5090 of the HB server .

Dynamic DNS works by pointing yournamehere.dydns.org to whatever temporary address your ISP has assigned to your internet connection. That step gets the data from it's point of origination on the internet to your doorstep. Before it can enter, the router has to tell it where to go on the inside segment of your network. It does this though a NAT mapping. The NAT entry will basically says; "Everything that comes in from the internet on port 5090, send to the computer at 192.168.1.104 on port 5090"

Google reverse NAT, or static NAT for your particular router and I'm sure you'll find a ton of examples. Post back here if you run into troubles.

Terry
Thales

Internet

Post by Thales »

Thank you,

I did the configuration,, and now I have this situaton:
When I run the remote with the IP adress, it runs OK
But whem I try with dyndns, I received this information:
"The target machine actively refused it."

Any ideia?????
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

When you try it with the IP address and it works, are you using the local IP address (192.x.x.x) or the public, ISP-assigned address? If you're using the ISP-assigned address, make sure you have the correct dyndns name.. I would defer to ScottBot, but is sounds like that type of message means that a firewall on the server side dropped your connection

Also, describe your testing environment a little. Are you attempting to test the external connection from another (or the same) computer on your local network, or are you using a separate public internet connection? What I mean is - are you running the SWremote on a machine that is not part of the physical network that the HB server is on?

From a DOS prompt on an external machine; try telnet-ing to the HB server on port 5090 - TELNET XXXXX.DYNDNS.ORG 5090 - and see what happens. Then do the same using the public IP address rather than the name. If it works, you should see nothing but a blank DOS box with maybe a cursor in the top-left corner. If it doesn't work, you get and error from the telnet command.

Also, try an NSLOOKUP - NSLOOKUP XXXXX.DYNDNS.ORG - at the DOS prompt to see what address your DNS name is pointing to. You can go a website like http://www.whatismyip.com/ to verify your public IP address.

Terry
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

Are you trying to run the software remote. I do that all the time. The current version of the software remote uses port 5015 as it's default. The old default port was 5009. I think it changed with version 3.0

Mark
Thales

Post by Thales »

Mark and Terry
Thank you.

That's it, the port is 5015, I changed and it works immediately.

Thales