How important is status response in x10?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
switzch

How important is status response in x10?

Post by switzch »

I am putting together my list of x10 hardware to contol the lights in my apartment (on a serious budget). I am currently looking at the powerlink usb interface and some lamp modules, i know i should get lamp modules that support direct dimming, but does status response matter?

What would you guys suggest I use for lamp modules that are cheap and can be controled by housebot?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I've never used status response myself. I suppose if you really needed to know if something has changed, it would be important. My X10 is pretty reliable.

What would you guys suggest I use for lamp modules that are cheap and can be controlled by housebot?
The cheap ones don't support direct dimming. I'd definitely spend the extra money and get direct dimmable switches if you plan on doing any dimming. I've only used Leviton switches that I get from Worthington Distribution. I think the SwitchLinc brand is also pretty good.
Scott
switzch

Post by switzch »

Ok great. Just to be sure, is Preset Dimming the same as Direct Dimming?

Present Dimming:

LampLincs recognize the PRESET dim command offered by many home automation computer interfaces and systems. Using this command, your LampLinc is able to come on to any one of 32 dim levels. For example, after watching a movie, a table lamp plugged into a LampLinc can come on to 16% brightness. Now, you can make you way out of the room without being blinded by the lamp coming on at full brightness.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I use the term Direct Dimming as anything that allows you to directly jump to a dim level. There are two types of direct dimming currently supported by HouseBot.
  1. Preset Dim - Used as part of the basic X10 protocol.
  2. Leviton Dim - Used by Leviton brand switches. This uses extended X10 commands.
Scott