Housebot and Hardware

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
AndyA

Housebot and Hardware

Post by AndyA »

I am looking to use Housebot to control my home theatre, what would be the best hardware to use for IR control ( I live in the UK)?

Also can Housebot control my TV tuner card and Music, or would I need Meedio TV for this? and does this link with Housebot?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Andy,

I'm not sure what you can get in the UK, but for IR HouseBot works with:
  • ADI Ocelot
  • USB-UIRT
  • SlinkE
  • Global Cache GC-100 (more difficult to setup IR)
Also can Housebot control my TV tuner card and Music, or would I need Meedio TV for this? and does this link with Housebot?
Depending on the interfaces to your tuner and Music player, HouseBot may or may not be able to control them. It has a generic serial/rs232 interface that can be used to control some RS232 controllable equipment. It also comes with a WinAmp plugin to control WinAmp.

I think if you're wanting to have PVR type functionality, Meedio TV will definitely be the way to go. There currently is no interface between HouseBot and Meedio TV, but there will be something available early next year.
Scott
jetblast

Post by jetblast »

Hi I have a very similar request...

Would HouseBot meet my needs?

I just want to control items in my Home cinema over RS232

I have no programming experience and was wondering how much of a learning curve it would be with HousBot...

Is there a tutorial on a very basic system, somthing I can work with and adapt...

I must admit I have looked at other systems Netremote CNC etc. and am getting a little confused so any help would be appreciated.
ROY MARRIOTT
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Roy,

HouseBot has a generic serial plugin that may allow it to work with your Home cinema using RS232. If the commands are fairly simple ASCII commands, it should be able to support it.

You don't need any programming experience to get it setup, but some of the configuration will require some technical work. For example, setting up the generic serial plugin to support your equipment will require that you find the RS232 protocol spec for the equipment you want to control. Then you will need to configure individual commands in HouseBot with the protocol.

There's no tutorial, but the online help should get you pointed in the right direction. Also feel free to ask questions here in the forums. It's a free 15 day trial, so you only have the lost time if it doesn't work out for you.
Scott
jetblast

Post by jetblast »

Scott

Thanks for that....

I did download the trial version and have been playing a little

Just to make sure I have the idea right I would conect all my equipment to a PC housed together connected via RS232 cable (running HouseBot) and control the sofware using a Pocket pc ie Dell X30 etc over Wi-Fi.....

My system comprises of a Meridian 568.2 and a 598 so how easy would it be to adapt your 565 plug in ie add the extra controls play, rewind, skip etc.

Ive just managed to switch the 568 to cd using HousBot and a Very long Serial cabel from this computer (not in same part of house) using "run task now" command. so there is hope for me yet

I feel if I can get the Meridian side of things running then maybe I could work on the other items in my system, Video Processor and Plasma screen

Thanks for your quick resonce

regards

Roy
ROY MARRIOTT
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Roy,

Strangely, the HouseBot Meridian Hardware interface actually has support for many of the "play controls" that you want. I never exposed a way in the Device to actually send the commands. Probably because I don't have a Meridian DVD/CD. :wink:

If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you a modified version that you can test out with the additional commands.
Scott