Touchscreen (larger than PDA) for Meedio control

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Paul,

They seem to go for between $300 and $350 on ebay. The cradle can be found refurbished from Tiger Direct for $70. Be aware that many of the ones sold on ebay have batteries that are in questionable condition - new batteries go for around $100.

-- Dave
Paul Forgey

Post by Paul Forgey »

dlmorgan999 wrote:Paul,

They seem to go for between $300 and $350 on ebay. The cradle can be found refurbished from Tiger Direct for $70. Be aware that many of the ones sold on ebay have batteries that are in questionable condition - new batteries go for around $100.

-- Dave

Heh. Same was true for the batch of AirPanels my friends and I bought. The seller at least was claiming they were factory refurbished with a warranty. Regardless of that being true, ViewSonic did honor the (claimed) warranty and replaced our batteries.

Hopefully they take the same battery if this is the case.
RxMan

Post by RxMan »

Are you saying you are going to ditch your airpanel in favor of a ViewPanel?

What are the reasons for this?
Paul Forgey

Post by Paul Forgey »

RxMan wrote:Are you saying you are going to ditch your airpanel in favor of a ViewPanel?
What are the reasons for this?

I'd rather run the CE version of the remote directly on the panel rather than through rdp. This would be less data to shove through the wireless network (thus faster response) and, most importantly, would free up the local console on the PC allowing it to do HTPC related things.

If I didn't care about freeing up the PC's console, then I would probably be perfectly happy with the AirPanel.
RxMan

Post by RxMan »

Thanks.

My plan is to use my server pc to handle housebot and other programs. I rarely turn on the monitor. I also have a HTPC running. Hopefully, the airpanel will work fine for me.
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

Guys, what's your conclusion about the AirPanel?

does it work well with HouseBot?

Any special problems or issues that should be considered before purchasing it?

Yoram
sic0048

Post by sic0048 »

I am also exploring the touchscreen options. I've looked at the Airpanels and Progear options, but this was the first I have heard of the Viewsonic Viewpads. I assume you are talking about the Viewpad 100 and not the 1000's. While the 1000's look great with their 800Mhz Celeron, it is simply out of my price range currently.
pitbullface

Post by pitbullface »

I just purchased an AirPanel v150P. I am going to try like hell to hack/modify the thing to get it to function as a remote/display of Meedio.

The AirPanel has the power to do everything we need, we just need to be more persuasive. :twisted:

With all the combined talent that exists in this community, (Meedioville), it can and will function as needed. (besides I can't get my money back as I bought it on ebay :lol: )
bhyland

Post by bhyland »

Just picked up one of these Viewpad 100 SuperPda on ebay, can't wait to give this a try! only problem now is picking up a stand at a sensilbe price as $100 seems steep for a stand! ;)

Oh and of course working out my bose rs-232 issues :( more and more I regret picking bose all those years ago without any research.... oh well lesson learned and I rarely impulse buy tech kit anymore.... well almost :D
PT

Airpanels and viewpads

Post by PT »

Read this thread and thought I would add a few notes.

The hack on the V150V110 works and indeed it will run software remotes ok. Be a little careful on image sizes etc.Oh and get the fake dll's and place in the windows directory. I use a a specific Ip address and indeed this works fine on the rdp connection about 4-5 seconds.

Even better on the hack version. I also have some viewpads which again work great they are full ce3.0. I have tried simpads and honeywell tablets.

the honeywel has a great screen but has a nat.geode processor so will not work with the software remotes.Simpad screens are not as good as viewsonics. Also Have a fujitsu stylistic which I got off ebay .This has the screen which can be viewed outdoors(a mistake when I bought)this is actuall very good outdoors but not so good indoors.

Anyway just some of my thoughts