myHTPC

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
usbrit

myHTPC

Post by usbrit »

ScotBot,

Are you familiar with http://www.myHTPC.net?

It appears to me that you and Pablo could gain from each others products and produce a MS Mediacenter killer!

There's a bit of overlap, but mainly your products compliment each other wonderfully. Just need a myHTPC skin for Housebot and I'd be happy!

Cheers

usbrit
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

usbrit,

I've checked out the myHTPC web site before, but have to admit that I'm a bit naive on the product details. Superficially, I've always been very impressed with his graphics!

I'm always interested in ways to extend HouseBot to support other products (or have other products support HouseBot).

Since you have the upperhand on myHTPC knowledge, what are you looking for in a HouseBot Theme/Skin?

Scott
usbrit

Post by usbrit »

ScottBot,

The skin will be tricky because myHTPC allows different backgrounds, fonts and colors on all levels by changing them at root. So it would mean a user would have to change his entire skin on each Panel, including fonts etc individually if he ever change his myHTPC settings. (Does that make sense?...myHTPC uses global font/button settings, Housebot doesn't)

Here's a thread on using homeseer in myHTPC via a myHTPC plugin, which would be a lot easier for myHTPC users.http://myhtpc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t ... t=homeseer

Let me know if you need anything clarified on the myHTPC stuff.

Pablo is also working on a new version using a completely new structure, so contacting him would allow you to better view the future opportunities.

Cheers

usbrit
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

usbrit,

I installed myHTPC and checked out the script from HomeSeer. I was able to mimic the same behavior (I think). I've only used myHTPC for about 1hr, so there's probably more that can be done that I am unaware of.

I saved my work in a configuration that you can import into HouseBot. (File / Import Configuration...)

It creates three dummy X10 Devices (you can replace them with your own once you get it working). In my script (myHTPCTest.vb) and Task, you have to insert your Device names manually, so be aware if you change the Device names or add any.

The sample requires the External Control Plugin that you can download from the HouseBot download page.

The myHTPC setup is pretty much the same as the HomeSeer setup described in the link you referenced. The one big difference is that for the Plugin Executable and Parameters, use

\HouseBot\Plugins\Devices\HB_Control.exe
/I 127.0.0.1 /O 1111 /C SPV "%Commands%"

Let me know what you think. I'm not sure if this is the kind of integration you were looking for. Feel free to enhance the sample. If you can get something nice, I'll provide it as a download (other than here).

Here's a link to the sample configuration.

Good luck,

Scott
usbrit

Post by usbrit »

Scottbot,

Thanks for the quick response, I will try this over the next few days and see what happens.

Thanks for your help, I'll let you (and the myHTPC community) know if it works.

Cheers

usbrit
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

Guys, by the way, I am the person that put together the Homeseer script for myHTPC. Let me know if I can help in any way. I am very intrigued with Housebot but am still on the steep side of the learning curve.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Alan,

I just took your script and modified it for HouseBot (Hope you don't mind). Except for my experience in rewriting the script, I'm not at all familiar with myHTPC so I'm pretty sure the integration between the two products could be better.

The one thing I noticed that would really be nice is if there was a way to refresh myHTPC to read the new metafile when a change happens in HouseBot.

If anyone wants to enhance the sample I made into something better, I'll help all I can. For example, it might be nice if the HouseBot script language had a call to retrieve the Devices (like HomeSeer) instead of having to list them in the script. I'm open to suggestions.

Scott
Automate

Post by Automate »

Alan,

Nice to have you in the forum. As a HomeSeer user it would good to get your input on any features that HomeSeer has that would be nice to add to HouseBot. I looked into HomeSeer and almost bought it but could never get over the steep price. Now I am glad I found HouseBot. Scott has put together a great program and is adding features all the time.
usbrit

Post by usbrit »

Scottbot et all,

Trying to get this working, just moved into a new home and found it already has x10 light switches!!

Unrelated to myHTPC....., having trouble with getting the CM11 to work, I get a "Error reading COM port. Error = Insufficient data in read buffer" when I try and change status of an X10 device.

Any ideas??

usbrit
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

usbrit,

Run a trace on the CM11a. Maybe there will be some clues in the data.

To generate a trace file:
  1. From the HouseBot main menu, select 'Settings/Tracing...'.
  2. Press the 'Advanced' button.
  3. Select the name of the CM11a interface in the list (it will be prefixed with an asterisk).
  4. Select the 'File' checkbox and enter a file name in the edit field below (file name only).
  5. Press OK to dismiss all dialogs.
  6. Try and use the interface again. This should generate data in the log file.
  7. Turn the tracing off by returning to the 'Advanced' tracing dialog and removing the check by the 'File' option.
  8. Send the trace file to me at '[email protected]'. The file can be found in the HouseBot\Logs directory.
Scott
usbrit

Post by usbrit »

Scottbot,

Do I have to create any additional devices to make the CM11 work, or is the hardware interface enough?

I obviously have a X10 Lamp module defined and enable, along with the CM11 interface.

I'll try the tracing tonight.

Thanks

usbrit
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

As long as the Interface is enabled and set to the right COM port, and a Device that is configured to use it is enabled (like you X10 lamp module) it should work.

Scott
usbrit

Post by usbrit »

OK, Justr checking I wasn't missing something!

Cheers

usbrit
usbrit

Post by usbrit »

Daaaaaa!! I was missing something, I have a firecracker CM17 not a CM11a, anyway I'll retry using the Firecracker interface and let you know.

Sorry Scottbot, for troubling you with my stupidity.

usbrit
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

That'll do it. :wink:

I wrote a hardware interface for a piece of equipment that I have and it never worked for me. But it worked great for a friend of mine. I could never understand this until about a year (yes a year) later when I realized I was plugged into the wrong equipment :!:

Good Luck,

Scott