Help with home automation......ie...... (rs232)

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Listen2this1

Help with home automation......ie...... (rs232)

Post by Listen2this1 »

This is the scenario. I am currently putting together a HTPC for a whole house music storage and hopefully remote control use as well. I am wanting to get a software that will give me the best of all worlds. My wish list includes using an viewsonic airpanel as my wireless touch screen monitor to run the housebot software. What can i expect to run into or is it even an option to do all i want to do. The list of equiptment is Denon AVR 3805, Denon DVD 5900, and a Hitachi 50vs810, all of these are rs232 controlled. Please help if able. Thanks James
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Hi James,

It's certainly possible to control RS-232 devices with HouseBot (I have several in my configuration) but RS-232 devices are one of the trickier things to set up.

The documentation is pretty good and if you have a technical background you should be able to get things up and running with a bit of fiddling around. If on the other hand you are *not* too technical you may find the job a bit overwhelming. I'd recommend you take a look at the help file for the RS-232 device plugin and see what you think.

As for using the Airpanel for a remote that will certainly work but will probably be somewhat painful due to the fact that it is just a remote desktop connection into another PC. I'm using several ViewSonic Viewpad 100 devices for my system. They work great and can run the software remote application natively.

If you already own an Airpanel then I'm sure you already understand what I'm talking about. If you are considering purchasing one you might also want to look at the Viewpad 100. They can usually be found on ebay for $200-$300.

-- Dave