USB Zwave problems (won't initilize)

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Crashless

USB Zwave problems (won't initilize)

Post by Crashless »

I'm trying to get my homepro zwave usb controller to get started in housebot and am getting an error when I try to enable it.

I had a lot of problems finding drivers for it, because I managed to lose the install CD before I even used it, and I can't find a single thing online.

So, 1. Does anyone have the windows drivers for this, and could you email it to me?

2. If my device is working fine in windows, what could be giving housebot a hard time?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: USB Zwave problems (won't initilize)

Post by ScottBot »

Crashless wrote:1. Does anyone have the windows drivers for this, and could you email it to me?
Check out the driver link here.
2. If my device is working fine in windows, what could be giving HouseBot a hard time?
The HouseBot plugin will definitely need the drivers installed to communicate with the controller. Once you get them installed, let me know what kind of errors you are seeing.
Scott
Crashless

Post by Crashless »

Thanks for the link. I seriously scoured google for an hour last night, and the best I could come up with was downloading homeseer (75mb download, yikes, talk about bloatware.) and using their download program to get their drivers. Then I also found the Act-solutions site (which was aweful, check it out http://www.act-solutions.com/ ) and found their developer drivers.

Anyways, thanks for that. I'll see if it fixes my problems when I reinstall that tonight.

Can't wait to get this working. :lol:
mbuster

Post by mbuster »

I'm interested in this as well. I've got Meedio set up to send out z-wave commands by running the external application. I've had problems with the device failing to initialize, which can seemingly only be resolved by unistall/reinstall. Is Housebot able to communicate directly with the Z-wave USB device?
Crashless

Post by Crashless »

I haven't had too much time yet to take a closer look at this. I tried the new drivers, and my system no longer crashes with it attached, but I think I need to clean out all the crap drivers I installed, and start anew.

When setup correctly, Housebot should communicate directly with the USB zwave controller. You have to have a normal remote though, with all the devices programmed, so you can train housebot though. I only understand this on an academic level, as I haven't gotten to that point though.

I'll post when I get this resolved - hopefully Saturday.
Crashless

Post by Crashless »

I'm still having issues getting Housebot to activate the Zwave USB device.

I have gotten things so that when housebot starts, it gets no errors. IE: all the things that list at startup get green checks. This didn't always happen.

But now, when I setup a new interface, select zwave usb device, don't check setup devices, OK, enabled I get a beep, and the following in the system log.

Error: Failed to initilize Zwave USB device.

Error: Failed to connect to USB device with Driver Description (ACT, Inc, Z-Wave Computer Interface)

I double checked my device in device manager and it matches the description given above. I used the drivers suggested above, and it's driver version reports as 1.5.4.0

If I click on enabled more than once, my system crashes, either by blue screen, or just freezes.

I checked the dump folder for any other logs than these, and found nothing other than a log that says what I've typed above.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

It sounds like you've got all the right stuff now. What version of HouseBot and the Z-Wave plugin for the "Z-Wave USB Hardware Module" are you using?
Scott
Crashless

Post by Crashless »

Hardware interface properties show v2.02.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

That's the latest one. :?

I've emailed you a new version with additional tracing and instructions.
Scott
Crashless

Post by Crashless »

Thanks. I'll take a look at it tonight. I really appriciate your help.
Pat A

Post by Pat A »

I'm getting the same kind of errors.

The initial loading goes OK with all green checkmarks (sometimes)... Hardware Interface Module loaded. Version =2.02

Hardware Module Z-Wave USB Hardware Module loaded. Version =2.02

Meedio HouseBot Version 2.20

ACT Z-Wave Computer Interface USB Device driver version 1.5.4.0

Everything appears to be OK until I go to Hardware Interfaces, choose the Z-Wave USB hardware module, then try to chang Enabled from "No" to "Yes".

The "No" field is highlighted blue when I move my mouse over the field, and little black up and down arrows appear at the far right edge of the field. Clicking in the field makes windows beep at me and in the status field at the bottom of the HouseBot window (lower left corner) it reads, "Error: Error initializing Z-Wave USB Interface."

The error log reads the same...

Error connecting to USB device with Driver Description [ACT, Inc. Z-Wave Computer Interface].

Error initializing Z-Wave USB Interface.

I am working on a very fresh install of windows XP on a very capable computer, but I've tried to get Meedio set up on my Dell laptop also, but got the same [bad] results. (I had homeseer installed on the laptop, but not the PC. Homeseer works fine on the laptop using the USB device.)

Any help would be appreciated.