Sunrise/Sunset and daylight saving

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Sunrise/Sunset and daylight saving

Post by yaccri »

Are the sunrise/sunset times getting updated with changes in daylight saving times?

I use TZEDIT to set the dates of the summer/winter dates. Is this enough?

Thanks,

Yoram
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

As long as the PC running HouseBot is setup to adjust for daylight savings, HouseBot will too. The System Time Device simply checks the system clock every 1/2 second to see if the time has changed. If it sees a change in the time (usually just one second), it will update it's properties accordingly. If the time is adjusted forward less than 10 minutes (this could happen if you have the time service auto setting your clock), the System Time Device will automatically generate Property changes for each second that was skipped. This ensures that time dependent Tasks don't get skipped due to minor adjustments in the system clock.

Since HouseBot doesn't really do anything special with timezones or daylight savings time, I don't think using TZEdit should be an issue.
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

I was looking for some details on how to use Sunrise/Sunset properties and I came across this post:

If the time is adjusted forward less than 10 minutes (this could happen if you have the time service auto setting your clock), the System Time Device will automatically generate Property changes for each second that was skipped. This ensures that time dependent Tasks don't get skipped due to minor adjustments in the system clock.

I was really impressed at this nice touch and wanted to say good job Scott!

-- Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

dlmorgan999 wrote:I was really impressed at this nice touch and wanted to say good job Scott!
Thanks. Now and then I get a good idea.... usually then. :wink:
Scott