Dakkar Question. Plus HB assistance if any1 around can help?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
talisman

Dakkar Question. Plus HB assistance if any1 around can help?

Post by talisman »

I had this PM'ed to me. And Dakkar is asking me some questions that im still waiting/hoping can be done with HB and the Essential Connector, or will be if any progress/updates come out.

Dear Talisman,

I would have some for question for you...

I hope I am not bothering you too much!

This is what I would like to do and I wonder if it is possible with meedio essentials+meedio housbot:

My configuration:

I have a htpc connected to a DENON 3803 receiver (controllable by serial port) and to a NEC HT1000 DLP Projector (that I would like to control by USB UIRT - It is to far to connect with a serial cable...).

I also have a motorized projector screen.

I will control everything with a Imon remote.

I am going to buy a USB UIRT, a CM11A and a SW10.

This is what I would like to do:

1) when I start up Meedio Essentials I would like to: lower the screen, power on the projector and put on the DVI source, power on the receiver, set the volume to a certain amount and the source to the htpc

2) when I colse Meedio Essentials I would like to do the opposite.

3) integrate X10 command in the normal media module screen (for example, when the meedio essentials ask me to insert a dvd in the player I would like to switch on the lights)

What I know:

1) there is a housebot-essentials plugin

2) there is a x10 module/plugin for meedio essentials

3) there is a USB Uirt plugin for meedio essentials (but it seems be working only in receiving and not in trasmitting)

4) there is a RS232 plugin for meedio essentials (only in beta http://www.meedio.com/forum/about26740.html)

5) you managed to control the projector screen accurately with HB

Can you tell me if is it possible and what I need to do?

Thank you very much!

Ok my answer was this from my current setup.

Right matey let me try help you and tell you what i have currently.

What you want to do for alot of items is the same as myself, BUT i think Housebot needs improving before you can do it all.

All i have at the moment is a couple of X10 Light moduals and the screen switch SW10G (plus the CM11A interface).

Yes you do also need the interface CM11A. This device plugs into your pc serial port (can go USB to if you need to) and then into a wall socket. So that when your pc sends a command it goes through the CM11A and through the wall socket into the house wiring to the Devices you install, ie light moduals, appliance moduals like the switch).

I havent got the USB UIRT for control as i purchased a Sconi Device, which will do what you want so this maybe the better option. I dont know never used USB UIRT.

Http://www.jbmedia.de/mambo/index.php?o ... 47&lang=en

I also purchased a 8 way Universal Remote control. Ive programed this remote to various devices, ie, meedio TV functions, Meedio Essentials, Housebot Lights/Screen etc. You then program Sconi to these funtions.

So from WIndows XP, i press a button on the remote and Sconi launches Meedio. The remote has all functions for essential so, up down select back button, main menu, launch TV, Music Player etc. you get the picture??

Now ONLY when Meedio is launched can i control HB functions, this is a bummer which hopefully in future releases will be corrected as HB has no Short cut keys/hot keys to launch or run any tasks.

Once Meedio has been launched i press one button to Drop the Screen, Another Button to Turn Lights Off, another button to turn projector on, and another to turn my amp on, and another to then change the display from the TV to the Projector.

Long winded yes BUT you can program a MACRO funtion on this remote to do it all in one button press(just havent had time yet).
Also thinking about it im sure you could tell essentials to RUN the task/execute command, for lights off and screen down as soon as Meedio is lanched, something to think about.

With a remote like mine correctly setup, once meedio has been launched i would be able to press one button and have
Screen down,
lights off
Amp on
Display change (from tv to projector).

If HB had hotkeys now it would be able to launch Meedio and run all that at the same time. But for now its a two button setup.

Now for other items like, put DVD in player lights ON. That is what i want to do. (well actually if i pause a DVD or TV i want the lights to come on, then when i press play i want the lights to go off) But i dont think Meedio and HB can do this yet, if someone else knows how, then please please please tell me.

So your 1st part No 1, yes most is possible as is 2.
3 im unsure of as im still figuring it out but think Meedio need to improve the Connector.

As for getting the exact screen drop, YES this is definately possible. I can help you do this no problems.

Now if anyone else out there has progressed and can control HB through Essentilas for items like when Pause is pressed lights come on, then when Play is pressed lights go off, please Tell Me, us. Share the knowledge.

Meedio Guys can anyone say if these are possible/will be possible in future releases????

Thanks
Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
Dakkar

Thank you Talisam

Post by Dakkar »

Thank you Talisman for the answer. And thank you also for having shared it on a public post.

It seems clearer to me now... but I still have no idea how to tell Essentials to RUN the task/execute command outside the housebot connector module.

Executing a command on play/stop dvd it seems more difficult (at least for me, cause I use TeatherTek to play DVD...), but to RUN the task/execute command outside the housebot connector module (but inside Essentials) is already very interesting...

Some other questions to everybody:

1) Can USB Uirt be used to TRASMIT ir code with HB or just to receive?

2) Can HB send RS232 command (i.e. to the receiver)?

Thank you and please don't leave us alone!!! :)

Dakkar
Dakkar

Re: Thank you Talisam

Post by Dakkar »

Dakkar wrote: Some other questions to everybody:
1) Can USB Uirt be used to TRASMIT ir code with HB or just to receive?
2) Can HB send RS232 command (i.e. to the receiver)?

I quote and answer myself. I found the answer is yes to both the question...

Dakkar
talisman

Post by talisman »

The execute command within Essentials has nothing to do with HB it is a function within Essentials

Basically you set up a Execute Command in the Meedio Config Menu. Then create a Jump to.

Then create another menu in Essentials Link a command to the Jump to.

(i then programed the jump to key into my Sconi set up)

so that when i press dwon on my remote, it send the signal to sconi. Sconi then tells meedio the key... say ALT+Q which then jumps to the menu option in the background. and sends the Execute Command thruough essentials TO Housebot which then alters the device state to = screen down.

Sounds harder than it actually is Dakkar.
Dakkar

Post by Dakkar »

talisman wrote:The execute command within Essentials has nothing to do with HB it is a function within Essentials
Basically you set up a Execute Command in the Meedio Config Menu. Then create a Jump to.
Then create another menu in Essentials Link a command to the Jump to.

(i then programed the jump to key into my Sconi set up)

so that when i press dwon on my remote, it send the signal to sconi. Sconi then tells meedio the key... say ALT+Q which then jumps to the menu option in the background. and sends the Execute Command thruough essentials TO Housebot which then alters the device state to = screen down.

Sounds harder than it actually is Dakkar.

Mmm... I think I don't undertand :((

Can you plase explain it step by step (for dummies)???

Thank you,

Dakkar
talisman

Post by talisman »

Ok create a Group Modual in the Meedio Configuration Menu.

Call it say "X10 stuff"

inside that create another Group Modual called "Projection Screen"

Then create a Command Modual inside that called "Screen Down"

and another "Screen Up"

So under menu it will look a BIT like this

Meedio

-...X10 Stuff

-.........Projection Screen

-..................Screen Down

-..................Screen Up

Go to the modual properties for each of these two and chage the Command to send, to equal SEND CUSTOM COMMAND.

The Custom Command to send wants to be housebot.set-property

You then have to create and add all the commands that need to be sent to HB in Custom Parameters To Send

But as i said ill talk you through this step when you get all the gear.

Does this help!! :lol:
Dakkar

Post by Dakkar »

talisman wrote:Ok create a Group Modual in the Meedio Configuration Menu.

Call it say "X10 stuff"
inside that create another Group Modual called "Projection Screen"
Then create a Command Modual inside that called "Screen Down"
and another "Screen Up"

So under menu it will look a BIT like this

Meedio
-...X10 Stuff
-.........Projection Screen
-..................Screen Down
-..................Screen Up

Go to the modual properties for each of these two and chage the Command to send, to equal SEND CUSTOM COMMAND.

The Custom Command to send wants to be housebot.set-property

You then have to create and add all the commands that need to be sent to HB in Custom Parameters To Send

But as i said ill talk you through this step when you get all the gear.

Does this help!! :lol:

Talisman,

thank you very much!

I am trying to do experiments with housebot, even if I don't have the HW yet! :)

Now it is more clear!

I miss only one thing: which is the sintax of this command "housebot.set-property"?

I know the devices and the properties of HB, but how is the sintax from meedio? Can you post your command as example???

Thank you very much!

Dakkar
talisman

Post by talisman »

"device=Projection Screen","property=Button State","value=Down"
spike5884

Post by spike5884 »

Been reading along and thought I would offer some advice. Why not put Housebot (HB) in "charge" instead on Meedio Essential (ME). With the 'issues' you two are talking about, it seems to me they could be solved if that was the case.

With proper hardware, HB could be set up to receive the ir signals from the remote. Based on the button pressed, do a predefined task. If ME needs to be controlled, use the "Meedio Essentials - HouseBot Connector" that will send commands to it from HB. It should be fairly simple to set it up so that if pause is pressed, the movie is paused and the lights are brought up. When play is pressed the opposite happens. The same would go for setting up a task to handle lowering the screen and stuff.

Just my two cents. :)
Thanks,
Scott J
aka spike5884
talisman

Post by talisman »

Well if you know how to do that spike lets sit down and have a chat about it, and if you can get this to work the beer is on me!!!! :lol:

Basically i was told only the USB UIRT would work with HB and therefore no good to me. IF HB have hot keys/jump to's then that would be usefull but currently it doesnt.
spike5884

Post by spike5884 »

There are a couple of other IR interfaces that are supported. USB UIRT is the most used. Check the Hardware Interface help.

What do you mean by "hot keys/jump to's"? With HB in control, you would just assign a task to a button on the remote.
Thanks,
Scott J
aka spike5884
talisman

Post by talisman »

Im sure my Sconi device isnt supported i posted a support ticket and asked so i can do that within HB, i had to use Sconi with essentials as that supports hot keys.

ie keyboard command CTRL+R = play in essentials i assing an ir code in sconi to meedio essentials program and CRTL+R.

i press the remote button and essentials PLAYS.
Dakkar

Found a solution?

Post by Dakkar »

Talisman,

I think I have some good news for you.

Read this:

http://www.meedio.com/forum/about24037. ... n+keyboard

It seems it works!

I tried with this action in the main.template files:

Code: Select all

<action name="light-on" global="true" command="light-on">
			<state name="stop" standard="execute"  window="hidden"  program="C:\Program Files\Meedio\Meedio HouseBot\Plugins\Devices\HB_Control.exe" params=" /O 80 /S pwd /T Luci ON /C ET " />
		</action>

Then in the INPUT section in Meedio Configuration I created a new command named "LIGHT-ON" (like the command name in the action statement) and associated it to a keystroke. It worked in any screen file!

Then you just have to map the IR signale of your sconi to that keystroke.

Clearly, I have a task in HB called "Luci ON".

Does it help you?

I hope.

Dakkar
Dakkar

Question for Talisam

Post by Dakkar »

Hi Talisman,

I have some questions about the SW10.

The SW10 can be controlled with the CM11 or with the integrated switch.

My question is: if you use the integrated switch changing the state of the projector screen, does the SW10 communicate it to the CM11?

What happen if you lower the screen with the switch and then try to lower it again with HB?

Thank you,

Dakkar
Circe640
Advanced Member

Post by Circe640 »

Dakkar What is the distance to your projector --- I successfully run a 50' serial conection by using serial to RJ-45 (std lan connectors) adapters and then connecting them using a 50' lan cable from my Ehome projector to the projector's switcher in my AV rack