Z-Wave experience?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Z-Wave experience?

Post by Steve Horn »

After my HB/Essentials support rant a few minutes ago , I have a less explosive question. Anyone using the Z-Wave plug-in and devices? If so, how do you find Z-wave reliability? I am using X10 to control lighting in the home theater, but its not very reliable due mostly to the harsh environment (X10 signal sucking power supplies, surge suppressors etc.) So I'm thinking of migrating to Z-wave due to the availability of its HB plug-in and the RF sigalling architecture (instead of PLC). But its a big investment to replace wall switch modules and the PC interface. And I don't want to go there unless I'm pretty confifent that it will be more reliable than X10.
Steve
bjlamarca

Post by bjlamarca »

I say go with Insteon. It is a dual band (radio & power line) repeating network. Smarthome has a basic lineup of switches and controllers available and many manufacturers have released that they are developing the new standard in their products. For example, FirstAlert is releasing a smoke and CO dector that reports alarms through Insteon. I have a few switches and lamp modules. They are far supior to the X10 I have.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Thanks; I looked those in the SmartHome catelog, but did not know about the technology and wanted to get away from X10. But if they are RF+X10 and accrpt X10 codes maybe thats the way to go. Will look at that technology closer.
Steve
spike5884

Post by spike5884 »

I would have to agree with the Insteon suggestion. It looks like a very up and coming product. Checkout http://www.insteon.net/. I don't think it uses x10 per say, just backward compatible with it. It has its own "message" structure. Only bad part about it is that HouseBot does not support it {yet}.
Thanks,
Scott J
aka spike5884
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Not Housebot-supported yet. And not likely to be unless a HB user that is software savvy and Insteon-inclined buys the SDK and writes code. I don't expect much in the way of support from Meedio; which is to say the HB plug-ins we have now are likely to be all we have for awhile. That's why I was considering Z-Wave. But maybe I'll be surprised... Thanks for the reply and info on Insteon. I just read up on it in the SmartHome catelog. It sounds like a good product and reasonably priced, even in SmartHome.
Steve
BotAll

Post by BotAll »

Well to answer your original question, I've been using Z-Wave for last 3 months and have found it extremely reliable. I have several plug-in adapters and wall switches used throughout the home. It was easy to setup and the HB plugin works excellent. I've create an HB software remote for use by my PocketPCs and they work great as taking the z-wave remote to the "next step" .

There is nothing stopping you from having both X-10 and Z-wave from being used together. So its really up to you when it comes to deciding what technology is going you believe will win (be it Z-Wave or Insteon).

Good luck!
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

BotAll, thats exactly the info I was looking for - reliable! I do plan on continuing with X10 in other portions of the house. But the X10 in the home theater is quirky, even with a filter and coupling repeater. Who knows - I may convert to Z-wave exclusively and phase out the X10 as I can afford it.

I downloaded the Z-Wave plugin and read the help docs - looks like there's not much to it other the step that's required to transfer the data from the Z-wave controller to the USB controller. I guess that will make more sense once I get the hardware and start setting it up. I too would be using an HB remote to control the lighting. I'm using a HB remote to control all the HT stuff, with a pop-up window for lighting control.

Thx again.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Over the Xmas holiday, I'll look into what it would take to develop an Insteon plugin. If it's not too big-a-deal, I'll see what I can do. No promises...
Scott
bjlamarca

Post by bjlamarca »

An Insteon plug-in would be very much appreciated.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Agreed - an Insteon plug-in would enhance HB's flexibility. And Scott, we won't hold you to that non-promise. :wink:
Steve
BotAll

Post by BotAll »

Hi Steve, let me know how things go. I would be interested in hearing you setup once its all said an done.
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

I realize this has gotten off-topic from the original Z-wave question, but since we're talking about Insteon now...

I too would be interested in any native Insteon support. I've been lurking in all of the HA forums just waiting to buy/implement whichever package supports it first. Indego (Macs only) has one in public beta, as does Automated living/HAL. I currently use Linux/Misterhouse, and a driver is in the works for that as well. My secret desire, however is to switch to Housebot - even though it has been left in a corner to die and rot by Meedio - I still think it's one of the best packages out there. Santa's bringing me several V2 switchlinks, keypadlinks, and a dev kit so I'll contribute any way I can, although my C programming skills are almost non-existant. It sure would be nice if someone could dig up that old HB VB dev kit I hear about from time-to-time.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

ScottBot wrote:Over the Xmas holiday, I'll look into what it would take to develop an Insteon plugin. If it's not too big-a-deal, I'll see what I can do. No promises...
I've had a chance to look into the Insteon stuff. I've got something that seems to work with the small amount of testing that I've done. It's very limited to the basic stuff (turn on, off, dim and detect on, off, dim), but that's mostly all I every do anyway.

I'm going to finish it off in the next day or so and then release a beta version. If there's anyone still interested....
Scott
devnull

Post by devnull »

Scott,

From a long time lurker, thanks for all your hard work! I am in the process of building my home-automation / HTPC system, and Insteon support would definitely be the feature that locks me into meedio.

Feel free to PM me if there is anything I can do to assist in the Insteon development effort (alpha / beta testing etc.).
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I've been a big fan of Z-Wave, but I think I may actually like Insteon over Z-Wave. The big thing for me is the 2-way communication with Insteon that we don't seem to have in Z-Wave. I'm building a new home soon so I'm trying to figure out which technology to use myself.

For testers, what I will really need is someone who has a HouseBot system setup and has some Insteon devices to test. You would definitely need at least the Insteon PC interface and a switch. I really only have a USB interface and one switch, so my testing is very limited.
Scott