Controlling Home theater

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
b00n13

Controlling Home theater

Post by b00n13 »

hi all,

Sorry this might not be very related to HB, but i m wondering how you guys control your Home Theater/TV via HB? i understand that HB can control X10 signal but HT/TV is control via IR.

1) Is there any IR equipment involved?

2) If yes how can i deploy it?

3) How will be the setting be like on HB?

4) anyone have any sample to show?

5) Air con use RF right, how can i control it Via HB?

lastly, i m very sorry for such stupid qn. i m a super noob in HB as well as Home automation, so far only know how to on/off light.

Thanks in advance

cheers

Alan
PT

Post by PT »

Hi

Some help for your questions:-

1) Yes there is some additional equipment required. Look at USBUIRT for sending an ir signal.Housebot has an interface/plugin for this.

2) There is some info in the help file but it is basically a usb device which squirts out/ and receives signals

3 & 4)Look at helpfile

5) Bit more complicated depending on type of signal and what interface is available.

Others may be able to pass on more info

Good luck
Regards

PT

If it isn't broke,fix it till it is!
b00n13

Post by b00n13 »

hi tks for ur reply,

in this case is it that the usbuirt must be in line with my ht.. well most of my setup, my pc is far from my ht. so have no choice but to setup near to my ht?

and lastly the air con thing.. can anyone advice me

tks
PT

Post by PT »

Hi Alan

The ir emitter does obviously have to be able to see the kit although ir signals do bounce around a bit.

The usbuirt also has a stereo jack on the rear of the unit. This basically amounts to you being able to send to three diifferent zones/ares.

So what does this mean? Well, my usbuirt sits in the study adjacent to my my server. I have a stereo lead with splitters on one end (stereo to single jacks( divide the channels)).These then connect to ir distribution blocks. One channel now drives upstairs first floor and the other drives the other floors.Centre drives the study.

Why split them? This is only becasue I have 2 digital boxes which have the same ir remotes so if I changed one then the other would also change

if I did not split them(Housebot can send to left/right/centre).

The ir distribution is carried out by cables run to areas of the house and then small ir emitters soldered on to the end.These can be discretely mounted. The master bath has one fitted to the underside of the vanitory top( vertically) so is not visible. However they are only about 2/3mm diameter anyway
Regards

PT

If it isn't broke,fix it till it is!