Ultra Thin Multi-Access and HouseBot

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Ultra Thin Multi-Access and HouseBot

Post by Osler »

This is just an FYI. nComputing makes an inexpensive device (OSL 100) that allows you to connect up to 10 "dummy" terminals to a central server. The device plugs into the ethernet network and to that you connect monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Server-side software serves up an instance of windows to the device and you can run anything that the server can run at the terminal. The device can be had for $199 at BestBuy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 5465842191

They are slated to come out with a new version next month at the same price-point (OSL 200) that supports USB 1.1. If this happens, this may be the least expensive way to have multiple small touch-screens around the house. Say a Phylon740VT-M1 ( http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info ... cts_id/386 )
and a OSL200 ( http://www.ncomputing.com/ncomputing/pr ... pel200.php ) - total cost ~$450. It's like RDP on steroids.

Osler
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

It is also possible to connect multiple monitors and mice to the same PC, and run several instances of SWRemote on that PC.
The downside is that only one mouse pointer can be active at any time.
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Has anyone actually bought one of these and connected it to HouseBot? I'm considering the idea for my new house but I'm wondering how it will work in terms on the software remote config files. If you run more than one instance on the same PC, and each one is full screen but on a different virtual session, will HouseBot have any problems?
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

If you run more than one instance on the same PC, and each one is full screen but on a different virtual session, will HouseBot have any problems?
You can define different 'Software Remotes' and use the command line with the 'name' flag to run SWRemotes. I didn't find any problems with this setting.
My batch file that calls the remotes also changes the X,Y position in the registry, so each SWRemote loads in the right position.
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

My batch file that calls the remotes also changes the X,Y position in the registry, so each SWRemote loads in the right position.
I think this is the step I was missing. I hadn't thought of this - thanks for the tip! Do you have a command-line utility that you use for registry changes?
AM

Post by AM »

Has anybody used the Phylon 7" + L200 combination already?

It looks like the USB port on the L200 can only be used for storage media, but not for the touchscreen control of the Phylon.

Also, the L200 does seem to support only 800x600 resolution and not the 800 x 480 native resolution of the Phylon.

If it really works, it would be a great combination.
walshengineering

Post by walshengineering »

Well looked into this a good bit at this stage - for the benefit of anyone doing research on this thread. Thanks to Osler for putting me in the right direction

The USB only being used for a flash device does seem to be a problem alright as it seems nComputing havent supported any touchscreens utilising USB as of yet so I guess it would be on a whim and prayer to take the risk on it. Some people over on the ncomputing forums seemed to have got it working but it is a bit of a grey area still.

http://www.touchtronix.com have units with the ncomputing idea embedded but you are restricted to few types of monitors.

On a different note, has anyone got housebot working with ncomputing without using touchscreens? Just wondering if housebot and the ncomputing software/idea are indeed compatible? Seems one would be pushing out the SWRemote panel through an nComputing 'tunnel'. Is this correct?

Just a really useful vga extender really!!

It is interesting!! Fries ones mind too!!
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Like you, I keep running into a brick wall when it comes to finding reasonably priced, usable touchscreen terminals for using with housebot. My current scheme is to use one of the new mini-itx boards from Intel to build a small "panel pc" for in-wall/hang-on-wall" use. I am using the parts detailed in this thread:

http://www.cebotics.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=855976

with the exception that I am using a 2G IDE Flash module. I also have the phylon 7" touchscreen as well. My hope is that with the picoPSU both the monitor and the board can be run using 12V POE.

The other component of this is to make a very trimmed down version of XP using nLite - similar to TinyXP (which is technically an illegal version of XP) - that is optimized for HouseBot use.

I currently have all of the parts....just haven't had time as yet to get it all together.

Osler
Timoh
Advanced Member

Post by Timoh »

My wrecking ball on the usable touchscreen price barrier was the Stylistic LT.

I'm not sure which stylistic it is... It's got 64MB ram, ~333 or 400Mhz CPU running win98. I got it a couple of years ago and paid $250 cdn/$200 US.

The same model seems to be ~$150 now on ebay, with more recent powerful versions in the $200-$300 range.

My only complaint is the "accidental touch" rejection in the screen. If I tap it with my finger, it won't register. I have to use my fingernail or the stylus. There might be a way around this but I never looked into it.

I managed to find one with a docking station and wireless infrared keyboard. The battery was toast, but that's ok since it's always plugged in.

I thought about terminals, but in the end decided against it because of the pain and complexities of extending screens, power, etc. As you have found out, it's not exactly straight forward. In the end I decided that the cost of a touchscreen on it's own was the same cost as an older tablet touchscreen PC.

Tim