What model of PDA would be best to run housebot

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
wadsbrau

What model of PDA would be best to run housebot

Post by wadsbrau »

I have no idea where to begin. I want to get something off of ebay but I have no idea what model would be best.

Please help

Darren
Sagz

Post by Sagz »

I don't know about best... but I had a Jornada 540 with a CF wireless NIC laying around doing nothing and decided to start playing around with the software remotes. It works great. If you are looking at ebay you might consider one of the Jornada 568's they have a faster processor. I've seen Dell Axims on ebay with wireless built in for around 260's

It really depends on your budget.
chojin

Post by chojin »

I would assume that any Pocket PC or windows CE device that has wi-fi capabilities.

I am currently testing with my Dell Axim X5.
wordgasm

Post by wordgasm »

Im thinking my old Casio E125 and maybe some more older, like it cheap ones for the whole house.

Wont be really PDAs, just remotes, so I wouldnt think you'd need all the wizbang, just a nice color screen!

Unless Im wrong/missing something?

You can pick them up on the bay for like $60
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

The main thing to be sure of is that it can support WiFi. Most don't have built-in WiFi, but if they have a CF slot, you can get a CF WiFi card.

The faster the CPU, the snappier the graphics, but even the slow ones do fairly well.

The more colors supported, the better graphics you can use. However, most all support at least 64K color which is fine.

The more memory, the more theme images you can use. However, I've never even come close to maxing out my memory, so it's not a big deal.

I actually use one of thesewith a WiFi CF card, and it works great.
Scott
incoronado

Post by incoronado »

Scott,

Reading through this old post, and it indicates you've never run out of memory. Wish I was so lucky. I'm still having an issue with Dell Axim x50v. I sent a post a while ago about this. It runs out of memory at about 10 panels. Did you ever come across a solution for this problem. This particular model has 64MB of RAM and supports 640x480 VGA graphics. I think this is where the problem is. It runs a little better on Mobile 5, but still notice weird sporadic video problems after 10 panels. Mobile 5 has a known serious problem on the Axim x50v where the video doesn't recover from power saver mode properly. I back-rev'd my axim x50v to Mobile 2003, but now I'm back at the issue where I can only load about 9 panels. My next step is to covert all of my graphics to 256 colors. Looks much better at 65,536 colors, though. Just thought I would ask.
Last edited by incoronado on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

What version of the Software Remote are you running? Version 2.31 had some memory improvements if you were running multiple panels using the same background image.

Certainly decreasing the size of the images (background or otherwise) will also help improve the memory situation.
Scott
incoronado

Post by incoronado »

I was still running the Meedio 2.2 version. I had just upgraded to 2.31 last week, but have not tried the PDA since upgrading. I'll try tonight and let you know how it goes.
e_patsellis

Post by e_patsellis »

ScottBot wrote:What version of the Software Remote are you running? Version 2.31 had some memory improvements if you were running multiple panels using the same background image.

Certainly decreasing the size of the images (background or otherwise) will also help improve the memory situation.
Scott, is this true of the x86/Win client also? I have several Norand 6622 machines and on the previous install I had, they wouldn't run reliably, kept bombing due to lack of memory. Granted I had 15 panels, and a 640x480 background, repeated on each panel.

erie
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

e_patsellis wrote:Scott, is this true of the x86/Win client also? I have several Norand 6622 machines and on the previous install I had, they wouldn't run reliably, kept bombing due to lack of memory. Granted I had 15 panels, and a 640x480 background, repeated on each panel.
Yes, for all SWRemotes. As long as you are using the exact same file for the background(s), it will save some memory.
Scott