Newbie question about touch screens & HomeBot

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
midwestbob2000

Newbie question about touch screens & HomeBot

Post by midwestbob2000 »

Sorry if this question is or stupid. I am a newbie and am looking for a software solution to start my DYI home automation project. I have been looking for some time and I feel I may have finally found what I need with HouseBot. I thought charmed quark might be for me but I am a person of very modest means and after buying their product you must also pay them $95.00/year just to keep the license up-to-date. I want something like HomeBot that I can start with just couple of lighting controls and add a few items every other month as I get some extra money.

Well, now for my 2 questions:

1) Do you have to pay a yearly fee to use HomeBot?
2) Ultimately, I want to be able to hook up touch screens to this system (via RJ45) to be able to access the system in different rooms in my house. Can you do this with the HomeBot software and, if so, what added equipment would I need.

Thank you for your time and patients!!
I once lost a chess game to a computer but it was no match for me in a kickboxing contest.
ericvic

Post by ericvic »

midwestbob2000,

Welcome to the world of HouseBot. I'm not an official spokesperson for HouseBot, just a user but I will try to answer your questions.

1. Currently there is no yearly fee for HouseBot and I don't think that Scott would impose one. Scott can speak up if I am wrong.

2. HouseBot comes with an application called a Software Remote that is used to control touchscreens. All you need to use it is a network a machine running HouseBot and a machine to run the Software Remote. The Software Remote is pretty powerful and you can find more information about it in the help file once you install the trial of HouseBot (if you haven't already). There is even a sample theme that will show you some of the abilities.

Eric
Hobby Boards
Complete 1-Wire solutions
http://www.hobby-boards.com